It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:28 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Postby shouldice » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 am

EDIT:

I'm calling this done. I'm going on vacation on Thursday for two weeks so I won't get a chance to do any fine tuning before the pageant ends. Thanks for all your help, and I hope you enjoy the game.

I'll miss you folks while I'm away!

Super Friendship Club, go!

Hide
Mac | PC

DOUBLE EDIT:
Fixed download links... Dropbox cut me off.

---

(Working title, blah blah.)

I don't usually work in 3D, and I don't usually work with sound, so this will be an interesting challenge.

Tantalizing screenshot:

Last edited by shouldice on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shouldice

Re: Justice Pageant - Hide

Postby Ian Snyder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 am

Tantalizing indeed! I am intrigued...
Ian Snyder

Postby Digitalistic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:42 am

Tantalizing title as well. You're doing a great job making me want to know more.
Digitalistic

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Wow yeah, tantalizing sums that screen up well!
Greg

Postby Radiatoryang » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Ooh, the snow is pretty.
Radiatoryang

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Very nice! Are you upscaling a smaller render-to-texture to get the lo-res look? Most screens don't support less than 640 across these days...
Jasper

Postby shouldice » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Jasper wrote:Very nice! Are you upscaling a smaller render-to-texture to get the lo-res look? Most screens don't support less than 640 across these days...

Thanks!

The scene is drawn with a point-sampled 128x128 render texture as the target. That's placed on a 16:9 plane that's viewed by an orthographic camera. The plane is multiplicatively tinted for colour effects.

I did the same for this little project.

More screenshots as events warrant!
shouldice

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah, that's gorgeous :) It really makes me want to learn how to code 3D engines properly; Unity can be a bit constrictive when it comes to exploring cool lofi 3D styles like this.
Terry

Postby shouldice » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Terry wrote:Yeah, that's gorgeous :) It really makes me want to learn how to code 3D engines properly; Unity can be a bit constrictive when it comes to exploring cool lofi 3D styles like this.

Thanks!

I didn't mention it explicitly, but this project is actually being done in Unity. You do indeed have more freedom with a custom engine, but there's still room to play in Unity.
shouldice

Postby shouldice » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 pm

I made a build if anyone would like to check it out so far. Comments welcome. There's not much more than atmosphere yet I'm afraid.

Mac
PC

(You can tap the forward key to sprint.)

A chunk of today was spent experimenting with a monster-like pursuer, but it really didn't end up feeling right. I'll try again when I have some time. I'm a little disheartened, but tomorrow is a new day!
shouldice

Postby Abel Toy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 am

Awesome graphics! I'm REALLY loving it
Abel Toy

Postby Ian Snyder » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:13 am

Excellent atmosphere. The breathing is a great touch, I found myself feeling physically exerted and stopped moving around in the game to catch my breath. I've never done that in a game before! I do think it would benefit from a greater number of breathe sounds though, the current set begins to repeat fairly soon. Maybe you could even have a set for breathing in and one for breathing out which could be recombined on the fly for more variations?

Right now, I'm not really sure what the point of the game is. I saw some doors, heard some sounds, but I don't feel that I made any progress. I wanted to know what the searchlights and alarm were for, but the forest got in my way...
Ian Snyder

Postby moonmagic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

I was also curious about the forest, but I gathered (from the wall of trees) that I am Not Supposed To Go There.

Does the mobility decrease with exertion? It seemed to. A nice touch, if so. I found two of the five screens. Seconding the comments about the atmosphere; the breathing and snow crunching provides a lot of tension. I wanted a monster or something to be wandering around in the openings between the trees; a reason to move in short bursts, like the breath sounds wanted me to.
moonmagic

Postby shouldice » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey thanks Ian, moonmagic.

This week has flown by; tomorrow's my Work On This Thing day. I'm leaving on vacation next week, so tomorrow might be my last time to work on it before the pageant ends, unfortunately.

Yes, the idea is that there's a pursuer of some kind. I'm going to play around with flashlight-wielding seekers I think. I had a Big Monster earlier, but it turns out that "beeline towards the last place you saw the target" is too efficient an AI routine to be fun. I'll try a more organic meandering I guess.

In the end I think this will be a short experience where one tries to find all the notes without getting caught. Maybe it will even be fun! : )
shouldice

Postby shouldice » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:38 am

Here's a new build.

Let me know if you get all 5 signs.

I'd like to take a round of feedback, and then call it done. (Hopefully I can get Ian's suggestion of extra breathing sounds in there.)

Mac
PC

edit: please excuse any debug text you may or may not see. :o
shouldice

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]