It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice Pageant - Hide

Postby ham and brie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 pm

It's a good atmospheric game.

The graphical style is really effective. I especially like how the branches of the forest trees looked. Particularly the opening view. I actually would have liked to have spent more time amongst the trees.

I also really liked seeing the pursuers from a distance as mysterious, amorphous glows with their probing lights.

The sound design is good too. When I stopped to pay attention to the breathing I noticed it sometimes sounded unnatural, but when actually playing the game this didn't bother me.

The shot at the start of this thread has a blue tint, which I didn't see in the game. I'm wondering about this because I thought that tint looked better?

I didn't find all the signs. I think the one I didn't find was #3. #1 was also comparatively hard to find.

After being caught twice I had noticed that the pursuers increased when I found a sign, so it felt like the rational thing to do was to go against the spirit of the game, by looking for the locations of signs without going near them.

Beyond the church, it's possible to go off the edge the world, though it's clear it's not the right thing to do.
ham and brie

Postby Ardbob » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:10 am

I don't have much time at the moment, but I played a few minutes of it real quick just to see how it looked, sounded and felt and all I can say is GREAT! :D Can't wait for the finished project.
Ardbob

Postby NiallM » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Yeah, this is fantastic. The combination of the noisy visuals, the snow crunching and breathing sounds, and the torch-wielding pursuers makes the whole thing really tense. For someone who doesn't usually work with sound I think you've done an amazing job there.

As others have noted the breath sounds could do with a little variation. I also thought they were a bit too treble-y, as if the protagonist's breathing through his nose rather than his mouth, but that may have just been because I was listening to it through my laptop speakers.

I've only found two of the signs so far.
NiallM

Postby shouldice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 am

Hi everyone; thanks for your feedback.

OK!

I'm calling this done. I'm going on vacation on Thursday for two weeks so I won't get a chance to do any fine tuning before the pageant ends. Thanks for all your help, and I hope you enjoy the game.

I'll miss you folks while I'm away!

Super Friendship Club, go!

Hide
Mac | PC

---

NiallM wrote:For someone who doesn't usually work with sound I think you've done an amazing job there.

Thanks! Phone mic, Audacity, and Unity audio effects.

NiallM wrote:As others have noted the breath sounds could do with a little variation. I also thought they were a bit too treble-y [...]

I originally made quite a few breathing clips, but only a few were appropriate for some reason. There's an extra one now. I also tried applying a low-pass to them, but it didn't quite work. (They sounded too muffled.) In future I'll have to pay more attention to the types of speakers people will be using.

ham and brie wrote:I actually would have liked to have spent more time amongst the trees.

I agree; I have added more trees.

ham and brie wrote:The shot at the start of this thread has a blue tint, which I didn't see in the game. I'm wondering about this because I thought that tint looked better?

I didn't find all the signs. I think the one I didn't find was #3. #1 was also comparatively hard to find.

After being caught twice I had noticed that the pursuers increased when I found a sign, so it felt like the rational thing to do was to go against the spirit of the game, by looking for the locations of signs without going near them.

Beyond the church, it's possible to go off the edge the world, though it's clear it's not the right thing to do.

Good eye. I've replaced the tinting. It's also a proximity effect for the pursuers.

Sign #1 has been made easier to spot.

I've fixed the off-the-edge-of-the-world problem, I think.
Last edited by shouldice on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shouldice

Re: Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Postby Radiatoryang » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 am

I love how scary this game is, well done, I found 3 of the signs then promptly started freaking out... I would've liked a little more context or feedback as to whether a guard had seen me or not, though.
Radiatoryang

Postby Ian Snyder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 am

Found about 3/5 signs. I just want to say that I really enjoy this game, it's beautiful and creepy in all the right places :)
Ian Snyder

Postby WBojangles » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:38 am

Very creepyfun, low-res 3D was interesting and I thought worked well for the most part; before I had explored much I assumed that far away objects were just a background picture that I couldn't get to. Eventually I felt trapped in the little starting area and tried anyway, so it worked out. The world in the end feels huge, which is amazing/interesting/scary/creepy/discouraging/fun.

First time I lost I didn't want to play again because
+highlight+| DYING IS REALLY CREEPY(FUN). Very good job of making it scary in my opinion. |+highlight+,
but then I played again a few times. Still can't make it past 2 signs but fun anyway.
WBojangles

Postby Pierrec » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 am

Wow.

The first time I played, I had no idea what to do, so I just wandered across the forest. Then, I saw a light, I was so happy! A light! Another human being maybe ? So I walked to the light and...DAMN! It wasn't a human being AT ALL! I got freaking scared!

The second time, I understood I had to found the 5 signs, I also understood I could crouch with the space bar. I thought : "It's gonna be easy, all I have to do is to avoid the light". I found 3 signs (1,2 and 4 I think...) and then the light came upon me. I was scared, but I managed to escape it, hiding behind a tree. That was creepy but after catching my breath, I went on searching. The beast was out the forrest so I thought :" Ok! I can go in the forrest safely now! There should be a sign there" And then...DAMN AGAIN! There isn't only one monster...there are plenty of them! How could you be so mean ?

There will never be a third time. It's much too creepy for me. Now I have to play something positive right now or I'll never sleep again!

Great game.
Pierrec

Postby Ama » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

So the atmosphere is pretty neat here, and I love the ambient sounds. I've never been much for the survival-horror genre but I'm really impressed with the feeling you manage to evoke from this. The first time I started the game I was for some reason unable to move but once I restarted it I had no problem, so I'm not sure what happened there. The only thing I found myself definitely wanting was an option to invert the y-axis for the camera. Nice job!
Ama

Postby Nuprahtor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm

I really like this game.
Downloaded it some days ago, but I still can't complete it. I found locations of all marks, but I always get 3-4 marks till those creatures with lights get me.
I am not telling that game is too difficult - I think difficulty level of this game is ideal. Someday I will be able to complete it - this will be awesome!
Nuprahtor

Postby piccobello » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Ive just registered to this forum to say that I really like your game a lot!

by the way, I was so terrified by those creatures that I felt off the map :D

piccobello

Postby Wasserstern » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Great!!! Loved the game, but I wasnt able to find all the signs before I getting caught by those creatures :D
Wasserstern

Postby jamus28 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Awesome game!

I found all 5 signs.
I was by the lake, behind the pillar things, and I knew the 3/5 sign was nearby. 2 flashlights and the helicopter had me cornered. I thought the game would end with the last sign so I made a mad dash to the center of the lake.
I found the sign and was caught immediately after.

The ending message acknowledged that I had found all of the locations but that it wouldn't matter anyways.

Is there another possible ending where you escape?
jamus28

Postby shouldice » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:53 pm

jamus28 wrote:Awesome game!

I found all 5 signs.
I was by the lake, behind the pillar things, and I knew the 3/5 sign was nearby. 2 flashlights and the helicopter had me cornered. I thought the game would end with the last sign so I made a mad dash to the center of the lake.
I found the sign and was caught immediately after.

The ending message acknowledged that I had found all of the locations but that it wouldn't matter anyways.

Is there another possible ending where you escape?

Thanks for playing!

As far as I know, you are the first person to report that they've found all five signs. You have "won the game" as much as is possible.
shouldice

Postby baziz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 am

I made an account to say that I think this is brilliant work! I enjoyed the atmosphere you created with the breathing and speed at which you walk. My favourite thing was probably the way you did the lighting. Very nice!

I found 1, my friend found two, and my girlfriend found two. It was fun to show it to other people and watch them try to figure it out.

I had a few questions: How is your renderer designed? Was the low resolution (especially the seemingly purposeful aliasing) a technical reason or a design one? Did it make things any easier for you? Harder?

Great work.
baziz

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]