It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 pm Advanced search

Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice Pageant - Hide [ DONE ]

Postby bigface » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:30 am

I had to try many times, but I too found all five signs. The first time I accomplished this, I did not recognize what followed as victory. I tried again, determined to really "win". (The gods laughed.)

I found that by being strategic about the order that I read the signs, I could end up at the last one at a point far from my various pursuers, well hidden by the trees.

But all of my cleverness was in vain. As soon as I read the last sign, I was quickly surrounded.

How can something so bleak be so satisfying?

Bravo!
bigface

Postby n3burgener » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm

I, too, was able to find all five signs in a single attempt. It took quite a bit of strategy and trial-and-error figuring out the best possible way to activate the signs and to avoid detection.

I was ultimately very impressed with the game. There’s a surprising level of immersion and depth to the experience, which is even more impressive considering how minimalistic and crude everything is. I think it captures a lot of the more psychological aspects of survival-horror, provided you're able to "get into" the gameplay. A lot of my satisfaction came from the internalization of everything, wondering what was going on, interpreting the signs, and filling all of the blanks in for myself.

I wrote a much more in-depth review and analysis, examining how the different elements contribute to the thick, stifling atmosphere. If anyone’s curious to know more about the game, or if you’ve played it and want to mule some thoughts over, the link is below:

http://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com ... eview.html

All-in-all, good work Shouldice.
n3burgener

Re: Justice Pageant - Hide

Postby xbelanch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

shouldice wrote:
Jasper wrote:Very nice! Are you upscaling a smaller render-to-texture to get the lo-res look? Most screens don't support less than 640 across these days...

Thanks!

The scene is drawn with a point-sampled 128x128 render texture as the target. That's placed on a 16:9 plane that's viewed by an orthographic camera. The plane is multiplicatively tinted for colour effects.

I did the same for this little project.

More screenshots as events warrant!

Congrats! Terrific game! Can you explain a bit more this technical spec? it's possible to see a screenshoot without any render texture? I'm amazed with the game look and I'm thinking which the best way to do it with OpenGL :-) (a simple ray casting seems to be sufficent to do that, like the another project you did). I like very much this "Atari 2600" 3D style!

X.
xbelanch

Postby shouldice » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 pm

xbelanch wrote:I'm amazed with the game look and I'm thinking which the best way to do it with OpenGL

Hey; thanks!

I think you can do exactly the same thing in OpenGL + SDL. I remember doing some render-to-texture stuff when playing around with 2D lighting.
shouldice

Postby Zero2545 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey Andrew, I really enjoyed playing this and made a video playthrough on Youtube of my experience. I hope you don't mind me posting it, but I think more people need to see this excellent game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ELRv06sa-c
Zero2545

Postby xbelanch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm

shouldice wrote:
xbelanch wrote:I'm amazed with the game look and I'm thinking which the best way to do it with OpenGL

Hey; thanks!

I think you can do exactly the same thing in OpenGL + SDL. I remember doing some render-to-texture stuff when playing around with 2D lighting.

Thanks for the info :-) I'd really grateful (and helpful) if I can see them :-) Anyway, great job! Hope you'll do more stuff like Hide!

X.
xbelanch

Postby eldergias » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 am

Hello!

I made an account just so I could post here. Your game looks really cool, but I am unable to run it on my computer. I have a 64-bit Vista Machine. When I try to run the game, both of my monitors turn black, I am unable to get back to the desktop and I end up having to force shut down my system. Could you please help me out? I would really love to play your game.

Thanks!
eldergias

Postby Jasper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Played it here, absolutely amazing. I don't really have any criticisms, as all of the design choices worked well, to say nothing of the wonderful look of it. I thought the out-of-breath audio was the only thing that grated - it was too pronounced, loud (after a while), and close-mic-sounding (I'd expect it to sound a little more 'outdoor' if that makes any sense?) The idea was solid, but I felt it could have been more subtly done. A visual puff of steam to accompany breathing out could also be a nice touch perhaps?

Really like the way you did the camera transitions on the info-plates.

Look forward to more things from you!
Jasper

Postby farcodev » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:25 am

great atmospheric game, good work !
farcodev

Postby BitPuffin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 am

This game got featured on the Frictional Games (Creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent) blog. Good job dude!

Not sure if anyone allready told you or you already knew!
BitPuffin

Postby redpesto » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm

This is sublime. Really enjoyed the experience.
redpesto

Postby Tommapar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Very good game, I liked the breathing sound effects, they sound very cool when you're using a headset. I have beaten the game at my second attempt. I liked a lot the lightning effects, and also the blimp was a nice touch, but I would like to now if you can escape somehow after finding all the locations, because it would be a nice thing to add, because it would create and adrenaline rush for you to go to one specific place. I noticed this game thanks to Frictional Games's blog, and because I liked it, I'm looking forward to see more creepy/survival horror games from you because it had me biting my nails from location to location evading those creepy monster-flashlight-thingy.
Tommapar

Postby rincot » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:45 pm

The game seems amazingly terrifying! But I wonder is there Linux build of it? Is there even a possibility to make one?

I am just nobody asking stupid questions.
rincot

Postby xbelanch » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 pm

rincot wrote:The game seems amazingly terrifying! But I wonder is there Linux build of it? Is there even a possibility to make one?

I am just nobody asking stupid questions.

Not. It's not a silly question. In fact, the game was developed using Unity and, as far I know, Unity can't publish or create the binaries for the Linux OS. You can read the same question you asked here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/915-Linux-Support-D

It's really strange Unity doesn't work on Linux... it seems an old topic, but Linux still lives under the thought that it's not an OS for playing games :-)
xbelanch

Postby Darien » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Apparently, Linux support is coming Real Soon Now to Unity. We've been hearing rumbles to that effect, at any rate.
Darien

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]