It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 pm Advanced search

Justice Pageant -- AWOL[Failed]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant -- AWOL[Failed]

Postby elegwa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Edit: Well, I've certainly learned something new. I never imagined making a text based game would be so hard, but I got to the point were I really couldn't think of any options so I just didn't work on it. Story is harder the one would think, I will certainly stay away from doing anything in this genre in the future. Going to run back to Flashpunk, expect me for the next pageant.

I think the only thing I manged to do right was find a new forum to lurk in -.-;;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I have a story for my game, what do you think?

A space pilot who joined The Core 20 years ago has begun to question what it is hes fighting for. Hes watched friends and family die for The Cause. But what is The Cause? What makes it better then the others, what makes us more right?

These things nag at this space pilot, and one day he is giving an opportunity and he takes it. He goes AWOL

So I like the idea, but I'm not sure what the game play would be. Especially since I'm going to use C++ and LOVE, and I'm new to both of them (Sounds like a bad idea, but I learned Flashpunk and Actionscripit this way :D) My current thought is once he goes AWOL, you go looking for Justice. You try and find out what it is The Core is fighting for, and what these other fractions are fighting for. The contest version would be cut down on the content but I'd hope to expand on it after the contest.

C&C, ideas? Hilarious side note: I got this idea on the toilet (Where mans best inventions are created :D)
Last edited by elegwa on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
elegwa

Re: Justice Pageant -- AWOL

Postby Darien » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Sounds like a fine enough setup. My only advice is to be careful with buzzwords; you're fine with just The Core and The Cause, but I've seen more than a few video games get so excited about making up their own lingo that players get utterly lost. If you've reached the point where you're considering including a glossary with the game so players can figure out what the dialogue means, then you've gone much too far. :-)

And that sounds like a fine way to learn C++ to me. I think every programming language I know (for whatever value of "knowledge" I can be said to possess) I learned just that way, very much including AS3, which I'd never touched before this pageant.
Darien

Postby elegwa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:56 pm

I've already learned some C++ (cout cin if and while) and I just read up on case, for statements. I have this very nice textbook (Problem Solving with C++) Next after this is Functions. I might run back to Flashpunk or Pygame if I get scared.

Yeah, I'll be careful with the buzzwords. I promise :-).
elegwa

Postby elegwa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:05 am

I'm thinking now that it's going to be text based. Were you get to choose the direction and you know, classic text based stuff :). I'm going to do my best to make it non-linear and not "You picked B, game over "

The reason why I'm going text based is because it gives me a chance to really practice C++. Not to mention I won't have to worry about graphics and sounds (Something I'm not good at) I'm going to start programming either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much of C++ I manage to figure out.
elegwa

Postby elegwa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 am

Been messing around with Ren'Py the last few days, trying to mutate it into a text adventure/game engine. Just isn't working out. Google didn't turn up any results either. I'm going to back up to Python, Good Ol' Reliable. Hopefully I'll have something to show for :/.

It's a shame there isn't more text based game engines out there (That is, the games are text based. Of course the engine is ^_^). Maybe I'll give it a whirl one time... First things first, this game.
elegwa

Postby elegwa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 pm

I was hoping for someones input on this, I'm trying to figure out what to do when it comes to talking and what command should be entered to confirm a choice. I was thinking Say a, a being the first choice b being second etc. But does anyone else have any other ideas?
elegwa

Postby Darien » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm not 100% sure what you mean; will the situation be something like this?

Commander Player, how are you feeling?

a) Fine!
b) Run-down
c) Bored

And then the player has an input prompt? If so, I'd say that just typing a, b, or c should be sufficient.
Darien

Postby elegwa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah, like that. As long as someone else agrees with me, I'm good. Unless of course, someone else has an idea.

As for progress, I have a feeling the game is going to be short. Mini LD is next weekend and I might want in on that (Depending on the theme )
elegwa

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]