It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - The Strangler [ DONE ]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - The Strangler [ DONE ]

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 am

I really want to take part in the Justice Pageant, but I don't really have much of an idea of what to do yet. I'm thinking some kind of point-and-click style game where you play a detective or a P.I. solving some sort of case. I wonder what it would be like if the story was dark and sinister in nature, but the visuals were all bright, cute and colourful. There's something in that contradiction I think I'd like to explore. More later...
=========================================================================================================
UPDATE: I've finally finished this now - download the 1.0 version from the link below.
=========================================================================================================

This is an edit of the first post to add some screenshots and a download link to the finished thing:

The game can be downloaded here (for windows, but should run on Linux through Wine):

http://www.colossusentertainment.com/forumref/strangler_1_0.zip

And here's a bunch of screens from the finished thing:

The name of the game is "The Strangler", and is about Tom O'Reilly, Private Investigator:

The game starts with you, playing as O'Reilly, getting a visit...

... from a lady who has a case for you - to find out if her husband is a killer.

So you have to hit the streets in a search for clues, but you're not very popular with the local PD:

There's a couple of cut-scenes in the game, giving you another perspective on what's happening:

I didn't have time to add much interactive dialogue (so that's something I'll be adding over the next couple of weeks). But there's a little of it at least:

When you discover a new location, you get a marker on a map, which is used to move around in the game:

I had to come up with a bunch of characters for the game. Ten of them in total.

As everything took longer than expected (especially the animations), I didn't have time to do the last scene of the game - so instead I just added a quick little thing to mark the end of what I had done:

I will try and continue working on this, and add more dialogue, a few more puzzles and the missing scene. One thing I'd like to have is different responses for everything you try to interact with, instead of always the same "I can't do that now".
Mattias Gustavsson

Re: Justice Pageant - Detective game

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I've been playing around with the visual style of this one - I'm going for this style of characters/scenes - now I just need to come up with a sufficiently nasty and gritty story...

Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:37 am

It will obviously be some kind of murder story, with an insane/obsessed murderer. I'm thinking maybe a deranged priest...

Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Abel Toy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:29 am

Those graphics are really cool!
Abel Toy

Postby Ian Snyder » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 pm

This is looking slick!
Ian Snyder

Postby Terry » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah, very very pretty :) Are the models animated?
Terry

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks :-) I'm using Poser for this as usual, so yeah, they will animate, but probably quite poorly - I'm not a skilled animator :P
Mattias Gustavsson

Re: Justice Pageant - The Strangler

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 pm

I've done a bunch more work on this - pretty much outlined the whole story from start to finish, trying not to be too ambitious, so that I can actually finish this.

I've also started working on all the art for the first scene, as well as preparing for the coding by setting up the basic project.

Oh, and I've decided on a name - it is now called "The Strangler" :P

This is the office of the P.I., where the game starts:

Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Toadsanime » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Dude, that's some pretty bitchin' graphics, and I'm liking the whole dark story/cartoony graphics concept.
Toadsanime

Postby Digitalistic » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm really digging the art style here. Can't wait to see how some of the darker stuff ends up looking.
Digitalistic

Postby Abel Toy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I am looking forward to some black comedy here! :D
Abel Toy

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 pm

I've been working some more on the plot, just adding more details really.

Also, I've made a new character, and a new location: outside the Star Club, where you meet Bambi, a friend of one of the victims, and also witness to her abduction by the suspect.

Mattias Gustavsson

Postby ThreeOhFour » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 am

Those are some adorable graphics!
ThreeOhFour

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:37 pm

I've had to re-work parts of the plot, in order to tie things together better and get a story that makes sense (somewhat).

Also, I've made three more characters:

The one on the left is the husband of the lady who visits the P.I. at the start of the game. She is convinced that he is the Strangler, but as he is a man of power, she dare not go to the police.

The guy on the right is a police inspector, and former colleague of the P.I. He hates the P.I. for getting his partner killed some years ago. He is generally an angry guy, among other things because of his wife (the lady in the middle) who is rarely faithful to him (she even has an affair with the guy on the left, believe it or not)

The background scene in this shot will probably not be used in the game - I just needed a backdrop for the characters.
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Darien » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:05 pm

TEDDY BEAR
Darien

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]