It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 pm Advanced search

Justice Pageant - The Strangler [ DONE ]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice Pageant - The Strangler

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Started working on the graphics for the map screen, which is used to travel between locations:

Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:26 am

Progress has been a bit slow over the last couple of days - mostly done animations and some dialogue planning. Getting ready to spend these last 48 hours in a coding frenzy :-) But I still doubt I will finish all of it in time...
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:41 pm

I've really pushed forward over the weekend. I have 9 scenes mostly finished (playable), and only two more to go to complete the game. Unfortunately, one of them is rather large, with lots of characters in it, and a fair bit of animation. So I won't get that finished tonight. Fortunately, I have next week off work, so I'll finish of the remaining two scenes, as well as add some extra dialogue here and there, over the next couple of days. All in all, I'm very happy with what I've achieved - over the whole month, but specifically over the last couple of days, when things have really started to come together. I've learned a lot, and I'm thinking of writing up some sort of post mortem on here for myself.
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Ardbob » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:05 am

Are you going to post the game tomorrow as it is so you can be part of the competition, or are you preferring to wait until it's perfect and then just release it?
Ardbob

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm posting the game as it is now - it's got the final scene missing, and I would like to go over it and add more dialogue, more options, and maybe a few more puzzles.

I am still very very happy about what I got done this month - this is probably the best thing I've made so far. I will definitely finish it of in the next couple of weeks - it's not that much left to do for it to be complete, as I imagined it from the start.

Anyway, here's the download (windows only, but should run on linux too using wine):
http://www.colossusentertainment.com/forumref/strangler_0_2.zip

I would very much appreciate any comments on this, and also if you find any bugs or such, I do find it a bit strange myself, but the whole idea was to explore the juxtaposition of cute graphics and dark story.
Mattias Gustavsson

Re: Justice Pageant - The Strangler [ DONE ]

Postby dock » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Wow! Congratulations on getting this done to a presentable state! :)

Just played for a while, it's really slick!
dock

Postby The Asking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Man I like it as it is, don't add more!

My only criticism would be the stairs in the slip inn - especially when you know the murderer is up there but you haven't managed to wake up Jimmy (if that was his name) yet. The fact that you get no response from trying to go up there made me think that maybe I had hit the end of what you had done. A simple prompt like "I'm not going up there till I know what room to look in, it would take too long to search them all." would hint people in the right direction.

Other that that it's pretty wicked and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
The Asking

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Edited the first post to include screenshots and download link:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Darien » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Interacting with the fishbowl is really fiddly. If I don't have the cursor pointed at the fish itself, it doesn't work -- and the fish moves. This is true whether it's in the world or in my inventory.

Other than that, pretty solid foundation!
Darien

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

yeah, that's a good point, and it's rather annoying - the problem is the transparency of the bowl, which affects the picking (however, you can click on the blue bit at the bottom of the bowl, which is easier). I need to make a special case solution for it, but didn't have time - should make sure to fix it in the next release :-)
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby dlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm just curious, What was your workflow for your characters ? Do you models and animate them in a 3d software first then export it to your game ? because it look really nice. The main character as this composure that make him real cool. Too bad it's so short, when you start to enter into the story, you have this cliffhanger just before meeting the (potential) culprit, looking forward to see how it end :)
dlan

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:43 am

Well, I'm using this program called "Poser", which allows you to tweak and combine pre-made 3d models (some which comes with it, but most of which you buy separately), and then render them as images. So actually all the characters are the same 3d model, and I just change it around and stick bits on to make it into the character I have in mind.

I made a video of the process, for those interested in how it's done
http://youtu.be/ltJjD__nGlE
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I've finished the last scene, and added some more "look at" descriptions:

http://www.colossusentertainment.com/forumref/strangler_1_0.zip

I'm calling this DONE now.
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Finally took the time to zip up the source code and upload it, for those who are interested in how I went about it:

http://www.colossusentertainment.com/forumref/strangler_source_1_0.zip

It includes both the code for the engine and the code for the game, but not the data-files for the game (you'd have to get them from the games zip file). The code is public domain. The source code for the game itself is not particularly pretty - time limitations meant doing quite a few nasty hacks. But sometimes it can be fun to see that other people hack their code too, so I'm releasing it as is :-)
Mattias Gustavsson

Postby dlan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for sharing ! It's always interesting to see the workflow used for this kind of game. The source code is not too bad, it's quite well organized :)
dlan

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]