It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm Advanced search

Justice - Ragequit [failed, but in a good way]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice - Ragequit

Postby Darien » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:Is there anything that cannot benefit from inexplicable zombies? I don't think so!

Dinner.

And... that's about all.
Darien

Postby Michael Brough » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 pm

So I think I've lost track of the theme here. My plan was to make a solid game as a structural base to build unfairness on top of, but now it's grow strong enough to reject what does not fit. And it wants to be balanced..

This is OKAY; themes are starting points for inspiration, and creation takes its own direction. Happy for this to be my pageant entry even if it's an inadequate expression of the theme; but wondering a little if I might have time to finish this up and then try again to make a really unjust game.

Actually, it's not quite true that it's rejecting unfairness. It does reject certain kinds of unfairness that don't fit - unfair random events and unfair powerups - but it admits overpowered combinations of powerups. But it's fast enough that unfair combinations don't last for very long until victory happens. Result is that these unfair situations don't feel "unjust", they feel okay because they're over fast (and can sometimes be dealt with). Failed! But made a sweet game in the process. To do: sounds, polish, further testing.
Michael Brough

Postby Darien » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 pm

That's the good kind of "failed."
Darien

Postby Michael Brough » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:33 am

Here's a build to try out, if anyone has a partner to play with. This isn't finished, I'm just hoping for some WIP feedback to determine what needs polishing!
download

Haven't settled on a name yet - Ed's suggestion of "Ragequit" no longer seems appropriate.
Michael Brough

Postby Ian Snyder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

I need to find someone to play against, but I did try to play against myself a few times (I won!) My immediate suggestion is that you not allow directional keys to make menu decisions apart from navigation. I pressed one and the game started before I knew what was going on.
Ian Snyder

Postby Michael Brough » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

re directional keys: Had the opposite view from someone else - that up/down should be navigation and left/right should activate. In general trying to make everyone happy with controls is confusing and painful (see: Vertex Dispenser).
Michael Brough

Postby Ian Snyder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Ha, no kidding. What I meant was that I'd prefer to see some sort of select key, Enter or something. If you're determined to keep the menu limited to arrow keys though, then I agree that the current set up is probably preferable.
Ian Snyder

Postby Michael Brough » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah, no, I think I actually agree with you; that's what I had earlier but then I listened to someone else and changed it. New rule: do not listen to people unless they agree with you.
Michael Brough

Postby Michael Brough » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Oh hey these are due today. Very tired from travelling. I have some more to do on this before it's finished, not going to rush it, plus it's diverged a lot from the theme anyway, so I'm just going to fail the pageant and let the game be done when it's done.
Thanks for the starting point! Hopefully next pageant I can hit the deadline.
Michael Brough

Previous

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]