It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 am Advanced search

Justice - Vigiliante Style

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice - Vigiliante Style

Postby Overkill » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Probably the least creative you can do with the justice theme, but who knows. Instead of being the vigilante(s) looking out for others, which would basically be any number of super-hero comics, maybe do it from the opposite end. It is still pretty cliche, but I think most varieties of justice stuff have been done in some form or another.

In a case of mistaken identity, have it so you are the person unjustly being targeted by a group of vigilantes, taking the law into their own hands. You are being sought out for a deed you haven't actually committed, and which the police aren't even aware of yet. But there are plenty of only suspicions around you -- maybe you were framed. You need to ward off the vigilantes and find the true perpetrator of the crime.

Or something dumb like that. Ugh, how will this even work as a game, especially made in under a month, when I also work full-time? I don't know. I guess I'll sort it out later.
Overkill

Re: Justice - Vigiliante Style

Postby Ian Snyder » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:47 pm

The gods of game design require a sacrifice of sleep!

This sounds cool, I hope you can find the time to work on it.
Ian Snyder

Postby minalim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 pm

I love the idea Overkill.

You shouldn't have any problems completing a game like this in a month if you keep it really simple.

Seems like something that could easily get out of hand if you think about it too much.
minalim

Postby Overkill » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Eek, so I haven't actually made any progress. I was originally thinking of making this from a weird adventure style game with dialogue branching activated by selecting keywords in text boxes (similar to some old CRPGs, except you can highlight the words in the text, instead of awkwardly typing in keywords back to them). And I was going to mix this with funky 2-color-per-8x8 style graphics with 1-bit sprites and 16 colors total. However, I got tied up with work.

Boo! I was in the process of leaving up a webdev job, and it was getting pretty demanding near my last days. I finally wrapped up that yesterday. Plus, all my friends were doing stuff on the weekends, and Dungeons of Dredmor came out and gobbled up plenty of time. And now I'm in the process of moving to Mountain View, California for a new job, and ughhh I have no free time anymore. :(

Maybe in about three weeks, I'll finally have the freedom to make things again! I'm hoping yes, since plenty other gamedevs I've known from IRC for years live in the area. Time will tell.

But in short, vigilante game has been put to rest for now. I am more prone to work on reviving my sidescrolling action game, Resonance, which is an exploratory platformer in which the player is a ghost that phases into existence and gains new powers through proximity and good reception of radio signals. Or my crappy NES homebrew efforts. We'll see.
Last edited by Overkill on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overkill

Postby Brocklehurst » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Shame to hear.. Remember to keep us informed on what you do though!
Brocklehurst

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]