It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:20 am Advanced search

JUSTICE : hungry forest [done]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: JUSTICE : hungry forest

Postby nyarla » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 am

tiny lumberjacks! :D so cool, love it!
reminds me of The Settlers sort of. but even cuter.
nyarla

Postby moonmagic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:50 pm

started working on the interface:

feels nice to have some interactivity going in. my goal is to get a basic win / lose condition done by the end of the week, as well as corresponding screens and a title screen.
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 am

Made a title screen and a font; FINALLY know enough about OOL things to make other people's bitmap font classes work for me in Flashpunk (a seemingly minor accomplishment, but I am that much closer to knowing how to do everything i can do in Game Maker).

moonmagic

Postby Ashkin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am

Hey moonmagic, just dropping in to say that this looks really cool. Especially that title screen :D
Ashkin

Postby peanutbuttershoes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Very cute and alive feeling.

I love productive AI running 'round, doing it's stuff.
peanutbuttershoes

Postby moonmagic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Mostly finished the first tier of the interface (the bottom bar displays a description and MP cost upon mouseover). Still having issues clicking away from it next to house squares (the game considers those "occupied", and generates and collapses the menu from "empty" squares only. Seemed like a good idea at the time!); need to fix them tomorrow. You can now plant trees, trees generate (entirely too much) magic, and gradually lower the health of buildings they are next to. Discovered that my simplistic economic system was logarithmic as far as the forest is concerned, which leads to a tense initial game and then inexorable sweeping crushing victory.
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 am

Alright. I've uploaded a naked .swf that allows you to plant trees and then either overgrow (to produce MP) or enshrine (to defend what you have). You may only plant new trees next to mature pre-existing trees. If you can somehow manage to plant the forest throughout the town, the trees will knock down the houses.

PLAY HUNGRY FOREST, KIND OF.

I doubt the game is "winnable" at this point, since the lumberjacks are designed to be just a WEE bit stronger than the trees. Still, if you can manage to destroy all the houses and kill all the lumberjacks, the game acknowledge that you won. If all your trees get chopped down, you lose.

Lots of work still to be done (music! sound! animals and fungi! torches and hunters! sardonic victory and defeat screens!), but I feel good about this start. I've never attempted anything of this scale before; hooray pageants.
moonmagic

Re: JUSTICE : hungry forest [done]

Postby WBojangles » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

It didn't take very long to figure out what I was doing / how to play, which is good.
It was fun to play, and I could definitely see more fun in it with your ideas implemented. Nonetheless, very well done on the game so far! I especially like the art, the way the lumberjacks run makes me smile.
WBojangles

Postby dlan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:30 pm

moonmagic wrote:I doubt the game is "winnable" at this point

I can confirm that, at least I haven't found a way to properly protect my forest :(

The concept is really cool, and the graphics have this retro feeling that make me want to put it on a gbc.
More balancing and option could really turn it into an addictive game (Adding Animals sounds good) . One drawback though, It seem the description bar for spell don't show up. Also, Having a progress bar for mana point "production" (like build progression in rts) would be cool.
dlan

Postby moonmagic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for playing, y'all! I've updated the swf with better waterfalls and pathfinding for the little men. I'm pretty sure I finally fixed the "dancing in place" bug. Huzzah!

I'll try to keep working on getting the rest of the game in place over the next few days; thanks again for the attention and kind words, everyone.

@dlan: I've planned for description bars and progress meters, but they are not implemented yet. Soon!
moonmagic

Postby Brocklehurst » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Yeah, just want to echo what everyone else is saying. The fact that I kept playing even though I know I was going to lose would seem like a good sign!
Brocklehurst

Postby WBojangles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:24 am

moonmagic wrote:I'm pretty sure I finally fixed the "dancing in place" bug. Huzzah!

That is probably better for the game, but I kind of liked it when they did that.
Maybe you could have them do it if they win or something? :D
WBojangles

Postby moonmagic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 am

I plan to have them dance around fires and eat barbecue while in idle phase (immediately after harvesting wood / animals). I have little pixel beer cans all ready to go.
moonmagic

Postby jonbro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

These graphics are amazing!

A bit more balance, and maybe unlockable levels or goals and you got a hit on your hands. Like others, I found the lack of feedback a bit hard, I wish I knew all the spell costs and benefits, but I imagine that is something that you could add if you end up doing more of a level / goal based approach.
jonbro

Postby redpesto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:32 pm

This is lovely to play. Surely you can just up the speed of MP a little until the game balances and you win 30-40% of the time if you play well?
redpesto

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]