It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 pm Advanced search

Justice Pageant -- Unintended Consequences [Done!]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice Pageant -- Unintended Consequences

Postby Darien » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys; I appreciate it. Everything's coming along swimmingly. I'll rabbit on about that in a minute, but first it's time for a new screenshot:

You can see today's big change right off: I've added a green square! My graphical prowess truly knows no bounds. The green square is also a pickup; it's a carrot, as evidenced by the counter in the upper-right. I've also made the player sprite a bit larger, and jiggered about with the hitbox to get the collisions a bit more accurate. Other minor changes: adjusted the positioning on the attack sprite so it's not projected out in front of the player's face. It now looks like it's in a more appropriate location.

I did a lot of work on the camera as well. I've solved the riddle of how to make the camera scroll only to the right, and I've even successfully bounded the player's movement so you can't run off the screen to the left either. Also I've locked the stamina bar and carrot tally to the camera instead of to the player, so they don't shake around disconcertingly when you change direction anymore.

Music is implemented, though the music itself is still in a very early state. But it plays, and it loops. Sound effects are still missing; hope to get to those in the next few days.

I've also made a bunch of changes and additions that will remain secrets for the time being; the code is now almost complete, barring minor tweaks and accommodation for the actual sprites. I still need to get a proper level hashed out and get the artwork done, but I'd say at this point I'm on track to have the thing done by the end of the month.
Darien

Postby Abel Toy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 am

Darien: You shouldn't need to move the text, setting its scrollX and scrollY properties to 0 should be enough!
Abel Toy

Postby Darien » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Oh, thanks, Rolpege! Didn't know it worked that way. That is much simpler.

Today's screenshot:

I've done some work on the art; the beloved primary colour squares are no longer. I have a carrot replacing the green square, a bottle to replace the blue square, and a little green dude with big boots replacing the red square. The carrot has a small two-frame animation to make it look a bit like the top is fluttering in the wind, and the mob has a four-frame walking animation. Still more work to be done on him, but for now, well, it's a step above just a square. Also you can see I've added a bit more detail to the ground, and I've added that little three-square ledge up on the right side so I could test my mob falling code.

Mob AI (such as it is) is done -- they now behave slightly more complexly, and they'll now actually fall off of things instead of continuing to walk through the air. Getting closer and closer all the time!

Edit: Also removed the ability to attack in the air, since it was causing a few technical oddities and I didn't really want it in the game anyhow.
Darien

Postby elegwa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 am

Is the main character a rabbit? Don't ask me why I think this, I'm just getting a certain vibe...
elegwa

Postby Darien » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 am

MY SECRET PLAN -- DASHED!

Yes, the main character is indeed a rabbit. :-)
Darien

Postby elegwa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 am

AHHA! Just as I suspected :{P
elegwa

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 am

Is that supposed to be some kind of carrot-based wine?
Digitalistic

Postby elegwa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 pm

At the end of the game, the Rabbit has to attend AA meetings :). I actually don't know, but I really like the clouds, looking forward to playing this.

Totally off topic, but I found it some how amusing that Digitalistic lives in the twin cities, as were I live is normally referred to as The Tri-Cities! :O.
elegwa

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm

elegwa wrote:Totally off topic, but I found it some how amusing that Digitalistic lives in the twin cities, as were I live is normally referred to as The Tri-Cities! :O.

That just means you've got more cities in your cities. If we ever invade, you'll probably win.
Digitalistic

Postby Darien » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Digitalistic wrote:Is that supposed to be some kind of carrot-based wine?

You know, actually, it was supposed to be carrot juice.

I say "was" because now I'm thinking maybe some kind of carrot-based wine would be funnier. Or perhaps a carrot brandy.
Darien

Postby elegwa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 am

Digitalistic wrote:
elegwa wrote:Totally off topic, but I found it some how amusing that Digitalistic lives in the twin cities, as were I live is normally referred to as The Tri-Cities! :O.

That just means you've got more cities in your cities. If we ever invade, you'll probably win.

Canada? Win? No, I don't think so :P.

I endorse carrot based brandy! :D.
elegwa

Postby Darien » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Canada won the last two times the US invaded. So you got a streak going, son!

No updates today. Too hot to work. :-/
Darien

Postby elegwa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 am

Darien wrote:Canada won the last two times the US invaded. So you got a streak going, son!

No updates today. Too hot to work. :-/

Shhhh, no ones suppose to know about that, we're PEACEKEEPERS, Eh?

It brutal here to, 106 F or 48 C with Humidity
elegwa

Postby Darien » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 am

No new screenshots yet, but I'm back to work -- heat is into livable range again, and my crazy-busy week has now abated. Almost all art is now done, which is very exciting.
Darien

Postby Darien » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm

New screenshots! Marvel at my garbage sprites!

I've added some highlights to the mob sprites, as you can just possibly see. Also I've changed them so the walk animation doesn't play when they're falling, which makes it look a bit less bizarre.

The main highlight here, of course, is that I finally have a player sprite in place, which means the game no longer contains any placeholder graphics! Currently I have standing, walking, and attack animations roughly complete.

Here's the attacking animation, complete with the finished weapon sprite. I'm still having tiny problems with this one; attacking while moving will cause the weapon sprite to appear 1px out of position, and attacking very very quickly after moving can cause the attack animation not to play at all. But those are relatively minor issues; by and large, everything works!

Still to do: aerial and special-purpose player sprites, special-purpose mob sprites, rounded terrain edges, better aerial blocks, and, ahem, making the damn level.
Darien

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]