It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 am Advanced search

Justice: Swift and S.U.R.E [Failed, Tutorial Kinda Done?]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice: Swift and S.U.R.E

Postby Darien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 am

Looks amazing. And to think; we hadn't heard from you in so long I was afraid you'd given up! ;-)
Darien

Postby Digitalistic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:27 am

There was a steam sale.

I may have gotten... distracted. :)
Digitalistic

Postby Darien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:47 am

Oh, was there? I hadn't noticed. Neither had my bank account. Nor my 27 stupid summer camp tickets. Nor, to be sure, my wife. :-o
Darien

Postby ThreeOhFour » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:07 am

Haha aw man this looks awesome!
ThreeOhFour

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 pm

I need some help now!

I've nearly finished the tutorial level, but I'm trying to assign medals (gold/silver/bronze) based on how long it takes people to complete. In order to do this, I need to get some data points from people who are not me.

WINDOWS
MAC

This doesn't include any of the introductory stuff about what you should be doing, so I'ma just put all that here for now.

The tutorial is supposed to be like a matrix-y fake city that's been created for you to test your skills. The first part is a driving test, followed by a combat test.

Drive with W,A,S,D, Aim/Shoot with mouse.

The driving test is a simple series of checkpoints. If you get lost, look at the minimap and you'll see a small line protruding out of your car icon. This tells you the direction of the next waypoint. When you cross the final waypoint, the combat tutorial IMMEDIATELY BEGINS!

The combat tutorial gives you a gun to shoot and involved the two justicars that have been circling the city the entire time. When the combat tutorial begins, the barriers around the city all disappear, and you must disable the two justicars as quickly as possible. This is done by shooting their tires out. The front two tires control steering, and the back two control power. If you destroy the back two tires, the car is disabled. It will take two shots to destroy a tire. Disabling the two justicars will end the tutorial, and you'll be able to just mess around doing whatever. It's worth noting that those two cars don't have any proper AI in them, so if you hit them or destroy a front tire, they'll basically just end up going straight off in whatever direction they're facing.

There's a hill to the west of the city that makes an awesome jump. The jumping is incredibly silly and awesome, and I recommend it.

If you play it, I'd appreciate if you'd post your times in this thread. It will help me get a good sense of how fast people are able to complete it.
Last edited by Digitalistic on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalistic

Postby Abel Toy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Mac version please? :D
Abel Toy

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

When I made the build, it said PC/Mac Standalone.

It should work.

Okay, scratch that. I had to make a seperate build for it. Uploading now, should be available momentarily. Sorry about that.

Mac download link.
Last edited by Digitalistic on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalistic

Postby dlan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 pm

It take me a little time to get the hang of the car inertia :) here my times :

first attempt :

tutorial 1 : 2:08
tutorial 2 : 1:49

best time :

tutorial 1 : 1:42
tutorial 2 : 0:37

Should be possible to do better once you mastered handbrake. Oh, and you should award bonus points to people who take down justicars while jumping from the hill :D
Last edited by dlan on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlan

Postby Abel Toy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

I am very bad at this game. Can't control the car well.

About my times, I did something like 4 minutes on the car driving test and more than 6 minutes on the combat test, but never finished it. In some point, I lost track of the second car and I wasn't able to find him anywhere :S
Abel Toy

Postby Digitalistic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Due to some unforseen hospitalization for the past week or so, there's a good chance that this is going to remain as-is for the pageant, as I've been unable to work on it at all recently.

Having said that, I'm kinda having a blast with it and want to keep it going, so I'll almost certainly be working on it in the future.
Digitalistic

Re: Justice: Swift and S.U.R.E [Failed, Tutorial Kinda Done?

Postby Digitalistic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 am

I was hoping to at least be able to get the AI fixed before the deadline, but alas, it didn't happen.

Just remember kids, when you have a month to make a game, spending a week in the hospital is bad for your productivity.
Digitalistic

Postby Darien » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 am

I hope you're okay. Being hospitalised is never a good time. :-/
Darien

Postby Digitalistic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 pm

So I'm 90% sure I've got properly working AI setup on the Justicars now.

I'ma try and set up some waypoints for them, then I'll probably upload new builds for people to test and try to break.
Digitalistic

Postby Digitalistic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 am

New build!

Windows
Windows 64-bit
Mac Universal

The two Justicars now have AI. They will continuously circle the city via a system of waypoints. If they get knocked around, they'll correct themselves and continue on.

The only time this doesn't actually work is when they end up driving directly into a building. ---> [ ]
That should be a simple problem to fix, but I didn't feel like spending more time on this today.

I added weapon pickups and limited the amount of ammo you can carry to six bullets. It's super easy to get more ammo - just drive over one of the gun icons.

I also added pointy arrows to the waypoints. I noticed a few people, both in this thread and in reality, had some trouble navigating the city. I realized that the minimap wasn't doing enough to show where you needed to go, so I made some pointy arrows.

If anyone runs into any problems with the AI (or anything, really), please let me know.
Digitalistic

Previous

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]