It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 am Advanced search

Justice: Our Law [DONE!]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Re: Justice: Our Law

Postby reverkiller » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am

I'm enjoying it, although wish I had more insight to participate with.
reverkiller

Postby NiallM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 am

This is fun. Sadly I've got a train to catch and will be without internet access till Sunday, so I'll miss the rest of today's events. Still, things have definitely got interesting :)
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am

I've started a diary for the game here. It's mostly focused on my own largely inept recent efforts, but if anyone outside the game is interested it might be easier to follow than the email logs.

I'll try and keep it updated for each turn, though I suspect I may fall behind at some point.
NiallM

Postby Radiatoryang » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Are these games always like this? I mean, I feel like I understand "the message" to be gleaned from our current game -- how law is based on semantics, how people can bend the law, how you can feel powerless against some laws, etc. but now I'm trying to grasp at, "what else?"

Hmm, perhaps I should just say this game definitely isn't what I thought it would be. I guess you can't replace the immediacy / physicality of being in the same room, or actually playing Calvinball or something, etc. which is more along the lines of what I imagined.
Radiatoryang

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

Well, yes and no.

No they are not always like this.. The daily turn pace, built in imbalances, and solely inexeperienced players (myself included!) have meant there's been a much greater amount of hard to resolve vagueness and interpretation. With longer turns and greater invested time there tends to be more weight placed on stability and gradually emerging gameplay, rather than the crazy power struggles we've largely being experiencing. With longer turns there is also a greater chance for interesting discussions and shifting alliances.

Yes, they are always like this.. The interpretation of the rules is always important, because, what else is there? Like it or loathe it rule lawyering is an intrinsic part of the 'conventional' nomic. The democratic aspect will make it hard for the *truly* madcap to flourish, so it could never be especially like calvin ball or 1000 blank cards which favour anarchy.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Draknek » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I think I've just done something very clever.
Draknek

Postby Ian Snyder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Interesting choice :)
Ian Snyder

Re: Justice: Our Law [DONE!]

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 am

Well, this has finished. Alan managed to exclusively win the game through some very cunning manipulation of several seemingly unrelated rules.

I really hope everyone who joined in got something out of it. It certainly wasn't perfect, but for me at least it had some pretty interesting bits.

I want to write up some sort of more detailed post-mortem, but I'm not feeling ready to just yet. I'd also really welcome any thoughts/comments/criticism the rest of you have now it's over. I don't really suspect this is something I'm likely to revive, but that doesn't mean that there aren't still lessons to be learnt from it.

Cheers for playing/watching :)
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Darien » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I owe you guys an apology for totally vanishing the last week of play. I got very very busy with other things and didn't have the time to get to the game, and the more days I missed the more overwhelming it started to seem -- so much catching up I'd need to do! I should have done like Stephen did and formally withdraw, but I kept hoping I'd find the time to catch up and get back into the swing of things. Which I never did. :-/

So anyhow, sorry, everybody!
Darien

Postby Abel Toy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:37 am

I hate this game. I wanted to win D:

Nah, it was very fun and interesting :P.
Abel Toy

Postby NiallM » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:13 pm

I really enjoyed it. I'd be interested to know how similar it was to other nomic games though, having had no prior experience with them myself. It felt to me like some of the energy went out of the game after the first week.

I think one issue the game had was the way the turns were structured meant that if a citizen was clever and could be reasonably confident they would become dictator in the next turn, then they just had to wait till the last minute and they would be able to propose and force through any law they liked (something both me* and Alan abused). The time issue also resulted in both of the conspiracies I was involved in coming to nothing because I was at work at the wrong time and/or the other party(ies) was away. That's kind of the nature of the game though, given its 3-week limit.

Anyway, I had fun. I only regret that I didn't get the New Independent Anarchist Labour League worked into the final version of the laws. And I don't know if anyone was following my diary, but I do still intend to finish it; I just need to finish my own Justice pageant entry first.

* - At the risk of sounding like a bad loser I did consider a move similar to Alan's when I realised I was going to become dictator, but decided it was a bit too early. Alan's strategy was far more sophisticated than any of my opportunistic attempts would have been anyway.
NiallM

Previous

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]