Re: Justice Pageant - Dungeon Game

Postby Abel Toy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm

YAY! I want this game to scare the shit out of me
Abel Toy

Postby Jasper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Cheers guys, I'll do my best.

- Now you can shoot, and kill... :(
- Enemies respawn when far enough away, take two hits.
- There's volumetric fog (spent a long time on it, but it looks cool in motion.)

Jasper

Postby charlie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 am

Looking good, man!

If you get stuck with MiniB3d, give me a shout. It has some quirky bits.

Cheers
Charlie
charlie

Postby FuzzYspo0N » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:41 am

I was just looking at the image on SSS and I was thinking that the vignette makes it look a lot less atmospheric with that shape and hardness. Is it dynamic or a texture? I think you could soften it and make it more natural feeling :)
FuzzYspo0N

Postby BitPuffin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Creating something as epic looking like this in that time is madnessss, MADNESSSSSSSSSSS
BitPuffin

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Cool : )

(he's holding the gun really strangely? )
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby Jasper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 am

Wah! I finally have working 3D sound in. It uses sample-based trickery and custom panning equations, and checks to for visibility, and now you can hear the difference between when an enemy can see you or not. Doesn't extend to reflections so is still a tiny bit unnatural in the transitions, but I can live with it.

Been through three different frameworks, two of which were creating different issues, the last of which I wrote from scratch based on BlitzMax's super simple audio engine (but buggy unless you treat it very carefully.) Finally have a system that doesn't drop, pop or glitch, and the sounds swivel 360 degrees as they play. I could even add doppler effects as I can modify the pitch of samples as they play, but there's probably nothing moving enough to justify it.

So next I'm going to start working on a simple game object system so I can put in scenery and collectables... It's been annoyingly slow up 'till now, due to learning these new frameworks, but hopefully the rest shouldn't be too bad. Will try and make it extend to doors and stairs.

I plan on having food, batteries and ammo as the only collectables, and no RPG elements after all... although I could spread around collectable notes which reveal small things about the world of Lone Survivor. The game is all procedural, so I'd have to put plenty in to make it worthwhile.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Progress report:

- Added batteries, flashlight, health, ammo, clip.
- Added collectables, spawning code.
- Added 'blended sounds' which filter the further they are away (or if not in view of the camera) and improved the sounds in general.
- Added health, damage filters.
- Added wall variations, one full set.
- Added HUD.
- Improved the fog a lot.
- Added resolution independence (looks great in widescreen 1920x1200!)
- Finally got the textures to be unfiltered!

To do:

- 4 or so more level sets.
- Level completion rules (key + door?) (mirror? worries me though...)
- Note text (and textboxes.)
- Possibly saving of levels to make sure they're good, even though they're PG. Not yet sure if they're all completable...
- Game over / title screen.
- Score system.
- .ini file to set screen res.
- Intro cutscene? (To tie into the main game...)
- Ornaments? (tables, etc...)

Screenshot:

Here you can see the damage filter (just) and a new collectable, as well as the wall variations (now with nearest neighbour filtering on them - crisp!)
Jasper

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Why are you so set on putting the rest of us to shame, Jasper?
Ian Snyder

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Haha I dunno about that, just feel that by doing something interesting it'll encourage more people to join future pageants!

(Justifying that way to myself as I really need to finish this, like last week...)
Jasper

Postby FuzzYspo0N » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I think its awesome, i always feel motivated by motivated types!
FuzzYspo0N

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm

For sure, keep it up man!

(...I wasn't trying to sound mean earlier, I swear!)
Ian Snyder

Postby Jasper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Well I'm nearly there now, I have a titlescreen in and a level exit. You can die and restart, although I'm having trouble trashing the previous level, and re-spawning in a maze pasted over a maze.... Sure I'll get it fixed soon!

I've spent more time on the procedural generation, making sure enemies don't spawn near the start point, getting good balance of numbers for the generator, size of rooms, no of items, etc. I've put some tweaks in that make the game harder with time played too, to keep things ramping up. Each level ends with a door, and then a new level which is slightly larger, with more monsters and less ammo, and so on... The idea is to get as deep as possible. Do you explore the map on the easier levels for supplies, or head down as soon as you stumble upon the exit? That will be part of the strategy I think...

Also going to add 100 notes to collect, for the first 100 levels (if anyone gets that far.) They'll just be scraps of text, sometime gibberish, sometimes with clues as to the game's backstory. Another incentive to explore perhaps. Think I'll just list off the stats at the end - game time, kills and levels complete. No ending.

That's the plan for the rest of the game, we'll see how it turns out. It needs more graphics, so I'm gonna attempt to do some at TIGJam. I really want it finished this week...
Jasper

Postby Darien » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Wow. As soon as you said "100 notes to collect," I had a huge Banjo-Kazooie flashback. There's a game I haven't played in years. :-)
Darien

Postby thecatamites » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Yeah this looks really good!! I think you have definitely caught the uh strange murky crunched feel of old shooters with the graphics and I like the way everything fades into an impenetrable black abyss just a few tiles away...
thecatamites

PreviousNext

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]