It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - Prisoner Herding

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - Prisoner Herding

Postby The Fool » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:28 am

I'm starting with a very simple concept and will allow iteration and discovery to lead the way. You have a a bunch of prisoners who shouldn't be allowed to go free, though they very much desperately want to, but you have no prison, just an open field.

Your job, as warden of the field, is to place fences to block the wandering prisoners from escaping. Unfortunately, the prison budget has been squandered and the only material that can be used to create the fences is nearby rotting wood, which has the annoying tendency to fall apart rapidly requiring frequent reconstruction.

I have a PC engine partially written that I think is up to the task. Even though I, perhaps, should be working on it's iPhone replacement, this will be a good opportunity to flex my programming muscles and meet some like minded people in the process.
The Fool

Re: Justice Pageant - Prisoner Herding

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 am

There doesn't yet seem to be a great difference between herding prisoners and, say, herding sheep. Have a think about behaviour/interaction that would fit prisoners in particular. For example, the fences probably don't need to be rotting wood, surely the prisoners would try and dismantle whatever is in their way?

My other worry gameplay wise is how do you stop the dominant strategy being "keep making circles around the prisoners", or something equally mundane.

Then again, if you're planning on iterating and seeing what happens these are hopefully things you'll end up thinking about at some point anyway. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby ThreeOhFour » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:15 am

Perhaps one way to get around that could be to have rival gangs form, and you have to seperate members to prevent the prisoners from fighting each other? Could be nifty...
ThreeOhFour

Postby The Fool » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks very much for the input. You're absolutely right about the game being very dull and also not well incorporating the theme. As I develop the gameplay, I want to find ways to incorporate justice into the gameplay itself. I don't have any good ideas for how to do that yet, but I'm considering having wrongfully accused prisoners who have a different goal than the other prisoners, something like herding them outside the map while the others remain inside.

I really like the idea of having rival gangs that need to be kept separate, too, I'll definitely give that a go and see how it feels.
The Fool

Postby The Fool » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Turns out the last time I worked on the engine I planned to use I had half implemented a new renderer. I'm working on putting something basic in place, but I may miss the deadline for this pageant :(

The gameplay idea has continued to progress, even without the rapid iteration feedback I was hoping for. It evolved from the simple concept mentioned above to something more like a RTS where you can construct a prison, facilities and hire and place guards and staff, and be able to execute and pardon prisoners.

As prisoners finish serving time, they are reintroduced to an adjoining city, which is represented in the game only as newspaper headlines. The goal of the game would be to find a balance between preventing crime from repeat offenders, and minimizing the cost of running the prison, thus allowing society (as represented by a single city) to flourish.

Of course, there's no way all of this can be done in 2 weeks, but I'm happy to try and fail and will be better prepared for the next pageant.
The Fool

Postby elegwa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea, I like it. I think even if you don't make it for the Pageant (Which, you never know, you could :D) you should continue to work on the game, it sounds like an awesome idea!
elegwa

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]