It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - JUDGe X7

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - JUDGe X7

Postby ThreeOhFour » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 am

I only started thinking about this yesterday, and at first I wanted to do something where you were a judge and handed down verdicts, but they were always mis-interpreted by a translator (like in the Discworld novel Pyramids!) and you had to figure out the pattern in order to get them to give the correct verdict, but then I thought "That's a cheap and boring idea for a game".

So I thought I might try pitting you as a robot judge, who flies around the universe attending to petty cases at the very scene they are occurring, and act as a sort of detective/jury/judge guy that finds out all the facts and then, based on pure logic, decides a suitable verdict. I want to have cases that pit difficult moral choices against logic and see how they compare.

Then, after either one or a few verdicts given (depending on time/energy) I want to put the JUDGe X7 in a personal situation where he can no longer be objective, and see how his logic breaks down.

Basically, as usual, I am trying to make a game about awkward things like logic and humanity and feelings but hide it behind cool, fun things like robots and space and silly jokes.

Spent a little bit of time mocking up the JUDGe X7 (totally a working title) and a rough background and a gavel cursor today because I really want to make a game where you get to bang on things with your gavel when you click. Currently the game exists as this:

I thought it'd be neat to have his left hand resting on a bible, but changed the idea to having his left hand resting on a book of Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics translated into the 9744 dialects of the known universe.

Also have an idea for a morally interesting situation and some jokes that are pretty silly :D
ThreeOhFour

Re: Justice Pageant - JUDGe X7

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am

ThreeOhFour wrote:but changed the idea to having his left hand resting on a book of Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics translated into the 9744 dialects of the known universe.

Tickled :)

Mockup looks absolutley lovely, idea sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Looks lovely, and I like the idea too. Is it being done in AGS? I don't think you mentioned...
Jasper

Postby ThreeOhFour » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks guys :)

Yep, planning to build it in AGS (as ever). Want to figure out the mechanics of the game before I get too carried away and start building, but I thought it might be kinda fun to have the option to break stuff open with your gavel to find more evidence as well as the normal adventure game style dialogues...
ThreeOhFour

Postby Eddie Cameron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Colour me interested. I can take point and clicks if they're funny and/or pretty.
Eddie Cameron

Postby ThreeOhFour » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 am

I am aiming for both of those things, as well as the magical third one that is "fun to play". Call me ambitious, but it's worth a shot :D

Currently toying with the idea of making things explode when you click on them with your gavel, and incorporating some light puzzle elements into this...
ThreeOhFour

Postby ThreeOhFour » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 am

Day two update:

I decided to run with my idea for things exploding when you bang them with your gavel, and so I spent my JUDGe X7 time today teaching myself how to animate an explosion:

It's the first time I've done fireballs, but I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out. I used this Metal Slug animation as a reference, although obviously mine is a fair bit crappier. Still, I think this should be a satisfying enough explosion for gavel banging. Next I hope to work on some actual content.
ThreeOhFour

Postby Digitalistic » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:56 pm

This is looking really silly. Therefore, I'm totally into it.

I'm really enjoying the idea of an explosion being caused by a piece of wood.
Digitalistic

Postby ThreeOhFour » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

haha thanks. I'm having fun coming up with silliness for the game.

The background is still rough, needs much polishing up.

I finally got around to importing some stuff in AGS tonight. Currently you can deliver explosive verdicts to a watermelon, a barrel and a box, all of which produce the fireball. I decided to make the screen shake a bit when you hand these fiery sentences down, and I am pleased that it feels quite satisfying.

Next up I plan to try and incorporate some gameplay in other than just exploding various inanimate objects :D
ThreeOhFour

Postby minalim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I would totally want to try this game. That fire explody animation looks very good, especially for a first timer. Those backgrounds also look totally fine to me, don't really need to polish them.

Good luck completing it ThreeOhFour!
minalim

Postby ThreeOhFour » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 am

Thank you! By "polish" I merely mean tighten up some of the bigger brushstrokes.

Been lazy/busy/distracted from this, but finally did some more work today! You can now solve a court case :D

With the deadline about 2 weeks away, it looks like I'll probably only get 2-3 cases (and the finale) built in time, so hoping that I can make them more exciting to make up for this. Still, with a case pretty much done I feel like I have an actual game in the works now, even if it's really odd and easy and not all that much like what I'd planned to do initially ^__^
ThreeOhFour

Postby thecatamites » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:15 pm

This looks really fantastic dude, I have been meaning to play a Ben304 game since forever so maybe this is fate.....
thecatamites

Postby Darien » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm

"I have already delivered justice to that" is brilliant. You could merchandise that. Picture of the JUDGe, some explosions, and that line. Golden.
Darien

Postby elegwa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Darien wrote:"I have already delivered justice to that" is brilliant. You could merchandise that. Picture of the JUDGe, some explosions, and that line. Golden.

This, even better Trademark it.
elegwa

Postby Digitalistic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I'd totally buy that t-shirt... if I had moneys.
Digitalistic

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]