Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the No[DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the No[DONE]

Postby NiallM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:54 am

Scroll down for the download links.

[original post]
:( My game's title is too long to fit in the subject box. It should be:

The Divine is Hidden Behind the Noise of the World

This is just going to be a placeholder post for now, as I think it'll be a game that works best with as little explanation as possible.

You can expect a sister game at some point too: The Divine is Hidden Behind the News of the World.
[/original post]
Last edited by NiallM on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NiallM

Re: Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the Nois

Postby Darien » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:13 pm

And then completing the trilogy with "The Divine is Hidden Inside the Weekly World News?"
Darien

Postby NiallM » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Darien wrote:And then completing the trilogy with "The Divine is Hidden Inside the Weekly World News?"

Not being familiar with the Weekly World News, I had to look up wikipedia, and... wow.

My favourite bit's the abreviated history of Bat Boy:
Possibly the best known of all the stories to come out of WWN, Bat Boy was first featured in a 1992 issue after being found in a cave in West Virginia (Lost World Caverns). He has since led police on a high speed chase, fought in the war on terror, led the troops to capture Saddam Hussein, bitten Santa Claus, and traveled into outer space. In 2000, he gave his endorsement to Al Gore. It was foretold that Bat Boy would become president in 2028. The story of Bat Boy was the basis for an acclaimed off-Broadway musical, Bat Boy: The Musical, though the play ended tragically and ignores the continuity of the original stories.

Also this picture illustrating an article about alligator-chickens, where the anonymous photoshopper apparently doesn't know the difference between a chicken and a duck:

Based on this evidence I think it's quite likely that the divine is hidden inside the Weekly World News.
NiallM

Postby Darien » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Yeah, Bat Boy is pretty terrific. Man. I used to read the WWN print edition all the time; I'd almost forgotten how amazing it is.
Darien

Postby NiallM » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:06 pm

No gameplay yet, but here's what the game looks like:
NiallM

Re: Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the Nose

Postby Darien » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Huh. Intriguing. What would the gameplay be like, were it implemented? Looking at it, I'm imagining sliding strips of the scene back and forth to unscramble it.

(Edit: comedy)
Darien

Re: Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the Nose

Postby NiallM » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 am

I don't really want to give anything away, but it's not a sliding blocks puzzle.
NiallM

Postby redpesto » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:13 pm

NiallM wrote:No gameplay yet, but here's what the game looks like:

Don't not adjust your set!
Looks bad ass & really trippy :D
redpesto

Postby Ed K » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Looks like a spiritual successor (hah) to Labyrinth (if i'm remembering that right - your photo labyrinth game)
Should be good!
Ed K

Postby NiallM » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 am

Ed K wrote:Looks like a spiritual successor (hah) to Labyrinth (if i'm remembering that right - your photo labyrinth game)

Yup, very much so :-)
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Numbers Ritual - Qabalistic numerology training
I would like to detail a simple ritual I have been working on that I find beneficial in a number of ways; the most exciting benefit is being able to clear your mind in one single breath. This is an amazing technique for Qabalists and number mystics especially, and will also work for any magician or mystic. It builds on "The Pattern on the Trestleboard" popularized in the writings of Paul Foster Case. Please consult "Occult Fundamentals and Spiritual Unfoldment, Volume I" section A lesson 7 by Paul Foster Case for more information on number symbolism.

The task is to utilize the 10 statements (actually 11) of the Pattern in a simple ritual. You will be calling down the Light through your body, similar to the "Lightning Flash" of sephirothic emanations. This ritual can help you understand the sephiroth without reading any books, because it mirrors the universal ten-step process of all manifestation. It will help develop concentration, visualization, understanding of the Qabalah and the ten sephiroth, as well as the Truth about the SELF.

The Numbers Ritual proceeds as follows:
-----
Step 0.

Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Recite "This is the Truth about the SELF." Inhale and imagine infinite empty space around you. This represents the Unmanifest, Ain Soph. Identify yourself with this infinite empty space. On the exhale, recite in a powerful voice:

"ZERO. NO-THING. All the Power that ever was or will be is here now."

Step 1.

Inhale and imagine a small sphere of bright white light at the crown of the head. This is the sphere of Kether. On the exhale, recite:

"ONE. BEGINNING. I am a center of expression for the Primal Will-to-Good which eternally creates and sustains the universe."

Step 2.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the crown of the head to the left hemisphere of the brain. Imagine a sphere of gray light here. This is the sphere of Chokmah. On the exhale, recite:

"TWO. DUPLICATION. Through me its unfailing Wisdom takes form in thought and word."

Step 3.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the left hemisphere of the brain to the right hemisphere. Imagine a sphere of black light here. This is the sphere of Binah. On the exhale, recite:

"THREE. MULTIPLICATION. Filled with Understanding of its perfect law, I am guided moment by moment along the path of liberation."

Step 4.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the right hemisphere to the left shoulder. Imagine a sphere of blue light here. This is the sphere of Chesed. On the exhale, recite:

"FOUR. ORDER. From the exhaustless riches of its Limitless Substance, I draw all things needful, both spiritual and material."

Step 5.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the left shoulder to the right shoulder. Imagine a sphere of red light here. This is the sphere of Geburah. On the exhale, recite:

"FIVE. MEDIATION. I recognize the manifestation of the undeviating Justice in all the circumstances of my life."

Step 6.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the right shoulder to the heart center. Imagine a sphere of gold light here. This is the sphere of Tiphareth. On the exhale, recite:

"SIX. RECIPROCATION. In all things great and small, I see the Beauty of the divine expression."

Step 7.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the heart center to the left hip. Imagine a sphere of green light here. This is the sphere of Netzach. On the exhale, recite:

"SEVEN. EQUILIBRIUM. Living from that Will, supported by its unfailing Wisdom and Understanding, mine is the Victorious Life."

Step 8.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the left hip to the right hip. Imagine a sphere of orange light here. This is the sphere of Hod. On the exhale, recite:

"EIGHT. RHYTHM. I look forward with confidence to the perfect realization of the Eternal Splendor of the Limitless Light."

Step 9.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the right hip to the genital center. Imagine a sphere of violet light here. This is the sphere of Yesod. On the exhale, recite:

"NINE. CONCLUSION. In thought and word and deed, I rest my life from day to day upon the sure Foundation of Eternal Being."

Step 10.

Inhale and imagine a beam of white light emanating from the genital center to the feet. Imagine a sphere of tetracolored light here, the colors citrine, black, olive and russet. This is the sphere of Malkuth. On the exhale, recite:

"TEN. COMPLETION. The Kingdom of Spirit is embodied in my flesh."

Finish by imagining the light moving down all ten colored spheres and say "This is the Truth about the SELF."

After that, start again from the beginning and in a single breath, recite only the numbers zero through ten, using the same visualization as before. You can repeat this counting like a mantra for as long as you like.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:28 pm

The Magic Circle
The Magic Circle
The Magic Circle can be defined as one of the most basic of devices in Magical Art. It can be created physically or psychically.

Symbolically the circle can be said to represent the macrocosm and the microcosm. It also represents eternity, for a circle has no visible beginning nor an end. The moment one stands in the center of the circle one symbolizes the divine in the universe.

The circle upon the ground separates the material from the spiritual realms, that is beneath the circle is the underworld and above it the heavens - as is above so is below.

The Magic Circle in theory serves as a container for magical energies as well as helping to switch from the mundane consciousness of everyday life to that of a more magically minded one. In certain types of magical rituals, those described as black magic conjurations by the ignorant, the circle is used to keep out hostile forces and entities.

Agrippa in Three Books of Occult Philosophy

A circle doth answer to unity, and the number ten; for unity is the center, and circumference of all things; and the number ten being heaped together returns into a unity from whence it had its beginning, being the end, and complement of all numbers. A circle is called an infinite line in which there is no terminus a quo nor terminus ad quem, whose beginning and end is in every point, whence also a circular motion is called infinite, not according to time but according to place; hence a circular being the largest and perfectest of all is judged to be most fit for bindings and conjurations; whence they who adjure evil spirits are wont to environ themselves about with a circle.

Aleister Crowley in Book 4, Part II :

He affirms his identity with the infinite. He affirms the equal balance of his working; since all points on the circumference are equi-distant from the center. He affirms the limitation implied by his devotion to the Great Work. He no longer wanders about aimlessly in the world. Crowley also offers the practical advice that: His circle should not be too small and cramp his movements; it should not be so large that he has long distances to traverse.

A Magical Circle of about 9 feet in diameter is usually suitable for the solo practitioner, use your own judgement when determining the size for group rituals or rituals that require movement such as dance.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:34 am

Tale of three cities
Every Hindu ritual ends with the word 'Shanti,' chanted three times: "Shanti, Shanti, Shanti-hi," which is translated as "Let there be peace, peace, peace." Why is the word repeated three times? And can there truly be peace in the world?

To assume that a world of peace can ever exist is considered naive in Hinduism. To survive, every creature needs food. To get food, animals have to turn into predators and kill. Violence plays a key role in supporting life. As long as there is need for food, there will be predation; hence violence, hence no peace.

Humans kill more than other living creatures because we hoard more food than we need to live, to insure ourselves against future scarcity. Every field, orchard, garden that provides us with food is established by destroying an ecosystem. Human society is thus built on violence.

Hinduism acknowledges this truism, which is why Hindu gods carry weapons in their hands.

With such a pragmatic approach to violence, why do Hindu rituals repeat this chant for peace? And why three times?

In Shiva temples, the Bilva sprig is offered to Shiva. The sprig has three leaves. Shiva's sacred mark comprises of three horizontal lines. Shiva holds a trident which has three projections. Shiva has three eyes - the left, the right and the central. He is called Tripurantaka - destroyer of the three cities. Perhaps, the secret of the chant for triple peace rests here.

Shiva is the archer who struck down three cities with a single arrow. The bow is the symbol of balance. To shoot from a bow, you need focus. To shoot three cities with a single arrow, one needs to be patient and aware until the three cities are perfectly aligned. All these characteristics suggest that Shiva's archery is a metaphor for yoga. Yoga quietens the mind so that we are aware, patient, balanced and focussed. In this state, we discover the three cities that we inhabit.

The three cities are our body, all things over which we claim ownership and all things over which we do not claim ownership. In other words, they are: "me, mine and not-mine." Ownership is human delusion - we believe we have legitimate rights over the earth and hence the notion of property that we can possess, buy, sell and bequeath to the next generation. Property is a cultural concept, not a natural concept.

Yoga helps us realise that we own nothing in this world. We are born without possessions and we die without possessions. Realising this we destroy "mine and not-mine".

Yoga also helps us realise that "me" is not the body. We have a false identity, aham, the ego, that depends on the body and will die, and a true identity called atma, the soul, that does not depend on the body and will never die. True wisdom makes itself accessible when we outgrow our dependence on "me, mine and not-mine."

So the chant, "Shanti, Shanti, Shanti-hi," does not mean, "Let there be peace, peace, peace." It means, "Let me come to terms with the limitations of me, mine and not-mine." It is the ultimate goal of Hinduism: to outgrow aham and realise atma.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:56 am

It's done!

Downloads:
Windows (20.9MB)
OSX (23.7MB)
Linux/Source Code (22.1MB)

Technical Note: The game uses a lot of images, as well as shaders and frame buffer objects, so it may not run so well on e.g. netbooks. If your graphics card doesn't have shader support it should fall back to a simpler/uglier method of rendering, but I've not had a chance to test that yet.

Other Technical Note: The mac version's a bit funny. For some reason I had to invert the RGB components to get it to load images correctly. Also, the post processing effect seems quite a bit harsher and less pleasant than it's meant to be. I don't know why OSX is behaving differently to Linux and Windows in this respect, or even if it's just my macmini that's the problem, and other macs won't have this problem.
Last edited by NiallM on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NiallM

Re: Mysticism Pageant - The Divine is Hidden Behind the No[D

Postby Darien » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Potential Spoilers. Play the game first!

Interesting. I played it a few times; the last time, I think I "won" in that I did get the game into a state I hadn't seen before, though I accomplished this primarily via randomly bonking on the keypad. I never did discover any input pattern that the game consistently responded to.
Darien

Next

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]