It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:04 pm Advanced search

Announcing The First Super Friendship Club Pageant - JUSTICE

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Announcing The First Super Friendship Club Pageant - JUSTICE

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Make a game. Started on July 1st, finishes on August 1st. You may work alone or in groups.

If you haven't made games before, and aren't sure where to start on the technical side of things, just ask : there're plenty of people here who can give guidance.

When you do decide to post about your game, say it's called "Cats Under Fire", post a thread about it with the title "Justice Pageant - Cats Under Fire". When you've finished it, edit the first post to give it a new title - something like "Justice Pageant - Cats Under Fire [ DONE ]".

Amnesty International publish regular reports on human rights violations around the world. You don't have to base your game around them, but if you're looking to do research, or searching for source material, that's a place I'd recommend you start.

Any questions, please just ask below : )

--------------------------------------------------

So, this is OVER now. I'll probably leave it until the end of this week before collecting the games up/putting a page out, to give stragglers a time to finish things up. If you have finished your game, don't forget to put 'DONE' in the thread title (by editing the first post).
Stephen L (inactive)

Re: Announcing The First Super Friendship Club Pageant - JUS

Postby Radiatoryang » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:24 am

Also a good place to start for research / ideas / source material:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice
Radiatoryang

Postby deadeye » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:22 am

What if I don't want to call it Cats Under Fire?

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a nice title.
deadeye

Postby Zwer99 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 am

Hello everybody!

I have three short questions:
- Can I use the BlitzMax language to create my game?
- what happens if I won't finish the game? (maybe because you have no time anymore, or your aim was too big)
- Sorry if I missed something, but is this a competition or should it be just a collection of games?

Thank you for answering ;)

Zwer99
Zwer99

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 am

Zwer99 wrote: - Can I use the BlitzMax language to create my game?

Of course! Use whatever you like.

Zwer99 wrote: - what happens if I won't finish the game? (maybe because you have no time anymore, or your aim was too big)

Nothing bad. We'll be sad though. Better to aim small and succeed than aim big and fail. If you run past the deadline a bit no-one is going to complain.

Zwer99 wrote: - Sorry if I missed something, but is this a competition or should it be just a collection of games?

Much more a collection of games than competition.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Zwer99 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 am

Thank you for answering!

We'll see if I have enough time...

Jonathan Whiting wrote:Better to aim small and succeed than aim big and fail

Mostly beginners can't see which aim is too big and which is not ;)
Zwer99

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:27 am

Zwer99 wrote:Mostly beginners can't see which aim is too big and which is not ;)

Hah, well, a rule of thumb.. If you think it might be too big, it's too big. If you think it's definitely small enough, it might be small enough.

Ultimately it's something that comes with practice. I think the best way to get that practice is to make things that are as small as possible (meaning, smallest thing which still feel worth creating). If there's time/motivation remaining you can always iterate on it afterwards.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby BitPuffin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm totally gonna join doing these things!

But not right now, I'm too much of a newb, plus I have my own game to finish!
BitPuffin

Postby Jack Sanders » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 am

Hola gaiz~

Some of you may know me!

I like this forum's style.(graphic style) So I joined! If I can get an idea for this pageant I'll definitely join. I cannot guarantee a high quality game, though.(whatever high quality means) Spoiler: It WILL be UTTERLY sarcastic.
Jack Sanders

Postby Darien » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 am

I don't speak in any official capacity of course, but to my knowledge all newbs are welcome -- encouraged, in fact! -- to participate. This is the Super Friendship Club! We're here to have fun making games and helping other people to make games, regardless of skill level or experience or whatnot. After all, remember the first rule:

SUPER FRIENDSHIP! :-D
Darien

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 am

The only way to get better at something is to keep doing it.

I think everyone here realizes that everyone's at a different skill level, so don't worry about it being "bad". It's mostly for fun anyway, no?
Digitalistic

Postby Jack Sanders » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 am

Oh. I've had plenty of experience making and designing games. Almost a decade now, actually.(wow I'm getting old!)
So I wouldn't exactly say I'm new at this point. What I mean was that I might not end up putting too much effort into this game.(not to be snobbish, of course, I just might not get into it very much)

That said, I love the overall spirit of the people in this forum. :)
Looking forward to spending a good amount of time here!
Jack Sanders

Postby Erenan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 am

Hello all! I really want to participate in this thing. I'm really excited because for pretty much the first time in my life I have an idea that's actually small enough to pull off and is still an idea that I like a lot. But I just got a full time job two weeks ago! Hopefully I can find enough time to work on my idea.

I'm curious... After the month is over, is there going to be a list compiled with all the games created for the pageant, or are we basically just going to keep the individual games' threads as an archive?
Erenan

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:17 am

Erenan wrote:Hello all! I really want to participate in this thing.

Hello! Welcome! I really hope you find the time to participate too :)

Erenan wrote:I'm curious... After the month is over, is there going to be a list compiled with all the games created for the pageant, or are we basically just going to keep the individual games' threads as an archive?

I'm pretty sure we want to compile them in some way, but I don't think we have any concrete plans on how to do that yet.
Jonathan Whiting

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]