It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 pm Advanced search

Mysticism Pageant: Evil Zoltan [DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Mysticism Pageant: Evil Zoltan [DONE]

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I would like to present (drum roll please), my game, "Evil Zoltan"

The story behind this game is that instead of becoming cursed by a mechanical fortune telling machine, you are cursed to become one. To add more salt to the wound, you have a trial period being one. Breaking the curse only exists if you tell the correct fortunes to strangers so you will break the curse.

Instructions are in the game, but just in case, what you need to do is line up the AURA and SPIRIT with the pointers as close as you can. If they are close enough when you click the "predict" button, part of the curse is lifted, if you fail you will be Evil Zoltan (the fortune telling machine) forever. Random customers with random amounts of patience will attempt to get a fortune, be sure to tell them before the patience runs out. Also, there are some Tarot cards that will be given to you randomly that will help you play the game also.

Other notes:
I tried to be as mystical as I could. Zoltan (or Zoltar?) machines have always fascinated me. They are creepy, so I tried to keep it creepy, but my humor leaked into it a little bit also. Just for fun, I put an Easter egg in this game. See if you can find it. If you do, Evil Zoltan will do a card trick for you. For those that have seen the trick before, you may not be impressed.

Play:
Windows PC run (no install required, just run): http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/evilzoltan.exe
Windows PC install (if have problems running directly): http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/ezsetup.exe
HTML5 supported browser: http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/html5/index.html
* Please note that HTML5 for GML is still a beta product. Its slow, and quirky, but not a bad last resort for those that cannot play by other methods.

Screenshots:

(other screenshots if curious)

http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/screenshot100.jpg
http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/screenshot102.jpg
http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/screenshot104.jpg
http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/evilzoltan/screenshot105.jpg
Last edited by jabbyjim on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
jabbyjim

Re: Mysticism Pageant - Evil? Zoltan Game

Postby BitPuffin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea!

If done in a clever way it seems like a kick ass concept! :)

Looking forward to see where this goes!
BitPuffin

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 pm

(from previous)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is merely a placeholder for now, but I plan on finishing this, no doubt! I'm heavily debating revolving a game around the old machine game called "Zoltan" (not to be confused with the Zoltar in the movie BIG). It was nothing more than pushing a button (of your astrological sign) and then hearing your fortune off a tape player. Somehow though, I will make it more interesting and ... game like.

Either he becomes evil, or .. a simulation where you are him in some way. I haven't decided. I'm excited to see what everyone else is thinking of. Mysticism can go many ways.. its a brilliantly difficult.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have honed in on the Zoltan Game. Title still to be determined. "Evil Zoltan of Doom", or some crap like that, lol.

When its all said and done, its a Mechanical Fortune Teller Sim. You have to correctly predict the fortunes of these people, else you are a Mechanical Fortune Teller forever. I would say I am about 15% complete? No Screenshots yet, but ... its coming along nicely, in its own way. Its a very odd game, so far. Not very creepy though, which was my intent. I'm not sure how to go about making a game creepy. Especially one like this! Maybe just some random yelling at intervals, lol.
Last edited by jabbyjim on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabbyjim

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm still plugging away at this. No screenshots since... there is no time! Your just going to have to trust me, sort of.
being that I am new, and no one has any idea what kind of games that I make.. .I'm sure you are skeptical. I am also!!

ok, one screenshot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
jabbyjim

Postby jabbyjim » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 pm

I feel the countdown.. I hope everyone is doing well on their projects! Here is another screenshot. Some graphics are staying, others going, others cleaned up. Makes me realize I have a long way to go. Mechanics aren't working 100% either!

jabbyjim

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 pm

-tick tick tick - only a few days left... making some progress finally.. Zoltan talks now (sort of). I cleaned it up a bit, I hope it looks slightly more presentable. Going to add some gauges to replace the numbers soon (will look way better in my opinion), then some other occult-ish stuff.

jabbyjim

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Evil Zoltan

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm done, holy crap! Just need to post everything. I hope everyone's project is coming to a finish soon!
jabbyjim

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Evil Zoltan [DONE]

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 pm

working on the HTML5 version now

Some serious slowdown with some of the graphic techniques, I might have to remove some to clean it up for the browser method.
jabbyjim

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Yay! Just wondering before I play, is the build in the first post currently the latest?
Ian Snyder

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 pm

yes, I just edited the first so people wouldn't have to search all over the place. I hope you like it :D
jabbyjim

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I found the prediction minigame to be pretty difficult. I don't think I lined the two up correctly even once...
Ian Snyder

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:I found the prediction minigame to be pretty difficult. I don't think I lined the two up correctly even once...

Which one did you try, the PC, or the HTML5?
jabbyjim

Postby jabbyjim » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm

... hmm... no answer, OK.

both the HTML5 and PC versions are synced up, as far as skill level from what I can see. However, the GML HTML5 acts really weird at times (different results when you compile two times in a row without code changes, yikes!) so it would be interesting to know if I have to make a change. Got to love beta software!

Should be fairly easy if you use the Tarot cards, and just get used to the movement of the smoke :P
jabbyjim

Postby Ian Snyder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Whoops, sorry! PC I think.
Ian Snyder

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Assembling archive of pageant entries. Could you toss the html 5 one in a zip so I could include it? (if not, no probs - have the two other versions :) ).
Stephen L (inactive)

Next

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]