It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 am Advanced search

Mysticism: Super Cult Tycoon 2: Deluxe Edition [MOSTLY DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Re: Mysticism: "Super Cult Tycoon 2: Deluxe Edition" (ec + r

Postby Radiatoryang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:55 pm

The goal: build 3 Monoliths to summon your Mothership before the FBI fully investigates your Holy Barn.

Gaaaah we're so close, we have all the game systems working and all the art done, we just need to work on tutorial / pacing / mission scripting now.
Radiatoryang

Re: Mysticism: Super Cult Tycoon 2: Deluxe Edition [ALMOST D

Postby Radiatoryang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:42 pm

PS: please sir, Mr. Stephen Lavelle sir, give us the weekend sir, we promise next time we'll just spend a week on it and never bother you for extensions ever again, sir
Radiatoryang

Postby Eddie Cameron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 pm

KINDA ALMOST NEARLY DONE ALPHA BUILD!!!

Play it here!: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1156317/SuperCultTycoonAlpha/SuperCultTycoonAlpha.html

We tried. Oh, how we tried. But we couldn't quite get it finished in time :-(
Have a go at this build though, we're still working hard on it, and feedback from you lovely people would be great.

Now I'm late for work... ARGH!!!
Eddie Cameron

Postby Jasper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 pm

I honestly don't understand how you're able to put out so many incredibly polished and professional looking games in such a short space of time. It boggles the mind!

The premise here is fantastic, it plays very well indeed - quite compelling in fact.

- The pathfinding had some issues. It was frustrating when most of the paths were blocked by po po and my own buildings (at least in the pathfinder's eyes: I could get the vans to go through via multiple clicks, but this was the only way I was able to build followers.)

- I got four monoliths but saw no countdown. Is there something I missed?

- The 'Robert', oh man, the 'Robert'.

- Sound began to glitch quite nastily and never recovered.

- Loved the depth of field. Would have like zoom.

- Text-boxes overflowed the screen when it got busy, and sometimes were longer than the box underneath each one.

- I'm not sure I get the bribing, it's my least favourite part of it.

- I'd like a nicer overview of what my vans are up to, and possibly to be able to set waypoints for them. I know, scope etc. But this game is potentially a big hit I think, so it may be worth it.
Jasper

Postby Eddie Cameron » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Sorry about the broken build. I needed to put something up... Hopefully we can get a more polished build up on Sunday. I should have mentioned that we haven't put any endings in yet (that work outside of debug builds) so the games will just keep going.

@ Jasper: Thanks for the feedback:
- The blocked paths are FBI 'checkpoints' that hold the van for a while. Obviously we need to communicate this better. However I wouldn't be surprised if there are other problems with pathfinding, was the van held up anywhere other than around police?
- Oh man the Robert indeed (...and in the game!..)
- I'm curious about the sound problems, I haven't encountered any at all. It could be a problem with the build. I'll investigate.
- Text-boxes are a bit extreme right now, we'll cut back a bit.'
- Bribing is still a bit WIP, especially feedback wise.
- Waypoints are a fantastic idea, I'll put them in.
Eddie Cameron

Postby Radiatoryang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

Okay, we'll soon have an updated build. Kind of.

Check the first post for news.
Radiatoryang

Re: Mysticism: Super Cult Tycoon 2: Deluxe Edition [MOSTLY D

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:47 pm

played this.

liked it.

took a couple of starts to actually figure out what things did/what i had to do.

didn't win, the bad ending seemed to glitch out though? van said "go west" but kept glitching out and returning to the start position. the ending scene of escaping the compound as money rained down on the investigators was quite cool, though.

being able to restart back at the compound rather than playing through the start sequence might be handy.

seems hard. or at least, I wasn't able to stem the tide of investigators enough to ever feel like I had a chance at building a monolith.
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby mitDebo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Dunno if y'all saw it, but this got written about in Kotaku. Congrats!

I played it and it seemed really cool, but after I brought my first follower to camp, the van seemingly wouldn't respond to any of my inputs. It just sat there as the FBI continued to raise it's awareness of me. Apparently, my one camp follower made them super nervous!

When I have more time, I'd really like to be able to sit down and learn more of Maya. About how long would you say did it take you to make the art assets for this game?
mitDebo

Postby thoktaz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm a professional writer, interested in getting involved with some indie game design. Do you need any content writers on your team? I'd love to participate. My first project will be a disturbingly dark Roguelike that should be tossing out a playable alpha in the next few weeks. However, I am even more comfortable with the politically incorrect tongue-in-cheek humor that you seem to be going for. I'll give you folks more info, if you're interested.

-- Nate
thoktaz

Postby Radiatoryang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Stephen: our goal is to get everything working (and finish writing a "bad ending" heh), then I think we'll do a balancing pass... and I agree that it's too hard, we'll slow it down in the beginning.

mitDebo: you couldn't select the Van anymore? did you try using the "select van" button on the HUD?... did you even know that "select van" button was there?... argh, yeah, we have interface issues. I think I'm going to code a "highlight interface" tutorial thing.

thoktaz: I think me and Eddie might want to move on after we fix this and make it decent (especially since I wrote all this horribly hacky code to get the scripted sequences working and I don't really want to look at it again), but thanks... check out the How to get started making games topic here and start making games yourself!
Radiatoryang

Postby mitDebo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:49 am

I believe I had the van selected. And yes, I saw the buttons. Yet, even though I think I had the van selected, no matter where I clicked, the van wouldn't move. But I played it again just now, and had no such errors.
mitDebo

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 am

One other issue i had was that the fbi bar seemed to go up at its own rate - nothing I did had any effect. I was kinda hoping to lie low, but it rather turns things into a mad dash.
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby OliverEberlei » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Very fun idea and project. I enjoyed playing it, several times, till I got that damn mothership... damn you mother!!! :)

I am a Unity developer myself and love the highlight on the van when it is selected and coloring it if sth is in front of it. Do you mind sharing that bit of code or can you give me a hint what terms I might search for in the unity forums to get some ideas how this is done?
OliverEberlei

Postby mitDebo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:53 pm

I can't speak as to what the developers used, but I know I looked around for some stuff before and came across this:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/inde ... ed_Diffuse

The effect seems to be similar to the van outlining. The unify community has a lot of useful code that you can just use in your projects.
mitDebo

Postby OliverEberlei » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow, thanks alot. It works great. I should search the Unify Wiki more often.
OliverEberlei

PreviousNext

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]