It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 am Advanced search

Mysticism: Super Alcheblaster [DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Mysticism: Super Alcheblaster [DONE]

Postby WBojangles » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi super best friends!
I'm going to try entering this month [I tried last month but didn't post; yep, couldn't finish].
I've never made a game from start to finish before, as I'm relatively new to the whole thing. I really want to get something done though, so I'm going to force myself this month. Anyway:

SUPER ALCHEBLASTER!
I want to make a single-level arcade style game, because it's the simplest basic structure for a game I can think of. I'm thinking the game will basically be Galaga, but with different weapons for the ship to get. Each of these weapons is some different substance, mixture, whatever [represented by colors of beams]. There will be a set of flasks behind the enemies - you can try to shoot into those flasks while killing the enemies, making different compositions. All these would do is increase your score, and maybe make different weapons available. I haven't worked everything out yet, but it hopefully isn't too much for me to handle. I've almost got all the basic background coding done, the rest will just be telling the game what to do with the enemies and whatnot.

So, does this sound reasonable? Fun?

RELEASE
On Linux, you will need SFML libraries. http://www.sfml-dev.org/
Sorry Mac people, I don't have access to a Mac anywhere. If someone is willing to set up SFML on a Mac, I'll gladly give the source code to compile.
--Currently V1.
Linux: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43728506/supera ... nux.tar.gz
Windows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43728506/supera ... indows.zip
Last edited by WBojangles on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WBojangles

Re: Mysticism: Super Alcheblaster

Postby redpesto » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Sounds good to me. I love some colour coordinated shmup action :D

You ever played Ikaruga. There's a black/white game mechanic that's interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj23K8Ri68E
redpesto

Postby WBojangles » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:04 am

Oh wow, that game looks really interesting. This game will probably end up being not a whole lot like it, though similarly the color combos are just for bonus points [I assume that is what Ikaruga does].
In other news, yaaaay, all the background window stuff is done, so now the fun part comes. I'll set up shooting and collecting colors in flasks first, since moving enemies and determining when they should come out sounds like something I'll have to work myself up to doing.
WBojangles

Postby Darien » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 pm

No, Ikaruga's weirder than that. The colour combos *are* for bonus points, but they're also for more; all enemy shots are also black or white, and shots the same colour as your ship can't hurt you. Instead, you'll absorb them to charge your special attack. So there's a bit of a nuts mechanic where you have to flip back and forth rather rapidly to keep from getting annihilated by mixed bullet sprays.
Darien

Postby WBojangles » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Got some real progress, sort of! I got lasers to work, and started on the flasks that will collect those lasers. Obviously everything is placeholder [my friend doing the artwork is super lazy, and I think he has forgotten by now], but I wanted to at least show something:
WBojangles

Postby WBojangles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Almost have everything I wanted to include done.

Basically all that is left is to make lasers unlock progressively, and for MY ARTIST TO GIVE ME THOSE SPRITES.
Super excited!
WBojangles

Re: Mysticism: Super Alcheblaster [DONE]

Postby WBojangles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 am

Okay, all done. For now. See the first post to download and play.

Happy that I got it done in the month, and my first semi-playable game! It turned out alright, it's pretty choppy as far as movement and all is concerned. Hopefully I can get it more polished as I go.
WBojangles

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]