It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 am Advanced search

Mysticism Pageant: Mutation- [DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Mysticism Pageant: Mutation- [DONE]

Postby gargonherd » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:40 pm

MUTATION is a game of time and space. It is a world in which you are rapidly changing towards an impossible fate. You will not know your mind afterwards. YOU ARE MUTATION.

Official Page and Downloads:
http://www.cicadamarionette.com/mutationmain.html

CONTROLS:
WASD - Move
LEFTCLICK - Action
RIGHTCLICK - Drag Camera
MIDDLEMOUSE - Zoom Camera
SHIFT - Run
SPACE - Jump
Last edited by gargonherd on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
gargonherd

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Metamorphosis-

Postby Nuprahtor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Wow, interesting graphics!
Nuprahtor

Postby gargonherd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

http://gargonherd.webs.com/Metamorphosis/WebPlayer.html

Making some good progress. May as well explain the idea:

You are turning into a formless blob of decomposing flesh. In 15 minutes you will be unable to move, forever stuck. You are helpless- unsure of who or what did this to you. At this point it hardly matters, but you may as well at least try and uncover motives! I am adding a few notebooks, some pictures and other papers to read, even a locked-off room with some interesting noises. Not really a game so much as it is an interactive narrative but I really wanted to experiment with time as a leading aspect of storytelling. I'd like to hear any ideas or feedback people have, despite the fact that so far you can't do much. I will update with a couple new images as well.

gargonherd

Postby gargonherd » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Kind of been screwing around with the audio files a bit. Instead of being primarily based on reading texts like I originally wanted I have been using "audio tapes" and other devices which you can hear monologues and other similar things. I have made a couple more rooms, added more decorations, and various other events and happenings. I have been writing a lot of the dialogue now since the transformation and lots of the code is done. I will try and upload a new demo later but until then here's some pictures of the transformation, a new room, and a sprite.

gargonherd

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 am

looking interestinggggg
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby gargonherd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks Stephen!

I have been working on it really actively- I spent a couple days having to try and reinstall my OS but now I am back on working with the game. During that time though I finished a 15-minute noisy ambient thing for the soundtrack to the transformation. I'm replacing some of the audio recordings (wanted the narrative to play out somewhat differently), added another few rooms, making more models for furniture/plants/random crap among other things. Trying to flesh out the rooms more now. Details, interactive little items, etc. but it's all coming together very nicely.

The foyer:

The lounge:

gargonherd

Postby gargonherd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:19 pm

a couple more shots from the foyer since I'm continuing to update more of the rooms. just showing how the detailing is coming along -

gargonherd

Postby gargonherd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 pm

http://cicadamarionette.com/mutation.html

It's playing out a little differently then I first expected- a lot of the rooms are modeled and lots of the furniture and other details have been made but need to be placed. Many of the ideas were redone or changed. A couple more photos as an example.

Also now you can start to move things with your mind as you mutate, despite slowing down.
gargonherd

Postby Jasper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

Wow the concept is fantastic, and the art is really unsettling. Was it a conscious decision to keep the character very small in comparison to the scenery?
Jasper

Postby gargonherd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 am

I appreciate it- I've spent most of the time trying to create unique environments and ideas for each room to compliment parts of the mutation- I really wanted the art to be a strong reinforcement for the concept and I am glad you noticed that! Also the scenery thing is kind of funny- I wanted huge rooms with multiple sections/layers all along but the furniture kind of came afterwards, and I wasn't sure how to scale it with the character and room and still keep everything in balance so I decided in the spirit of weird 3D spaces to leave it as a bizarre piece of architecture.

Also I should have this done in the next few days- not sure how lenient the group is with late entries but I am finishing the items to go in the environment and about 3 more rooms and it should be complete. I just finished the menu, intro/exit cutscene, and a ton more rooms so I hopefully can pull this off on time!
gargonherd

Postby Jasper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:19 am

I'm sure that's fine (being late)... The idea is to get games made, and if the deadline meant that a game didn't get made, it would be a shame!

Also I think it's a good idea to embrace the weirdness of the 2D / 3D scale issues, it fits the concept well. Look forward to the finished thing.
Jasper

Postby angrygeometry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am

aaaa i played this again today and it rules

gargonherd keep it up!!!
angrygeometry

Postby gargonherd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:07 pm

thanks guys! I am finishing it up today, at latest it should be tomorrow actually! Finishing quicker than expected.

I am going to change the title to reflect the more up-to-date title. Also here's some pictures, including a few from the cutscenes:

Seems to keep cutting off the images, but if you open them in a new tab it should work.
gargonherd

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Mutation-

Postby gargonherd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:08 am

It's done. I'm making a large update to the first post.
gargonherd

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Mutation- [DONE]

Postby zovirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 pm

This game was unnerving. I think it was mainly the slowly-changing background sounds. Also the random notes scattered around.
zovirl

Next

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]