It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 am Advanced search

Mysticism Pageant: Enchanted Forest [DONE]

Archived Mysticism Pageant threads

Mysticism Pageant: Enchanted Forest [DONE]

Postby zovirl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 am

Update: I did one last round of tweaks on this. Got all the features in which I had wanted to do before my HD died. I'm declaring this really finished now.

Most games are about doing: building empires, killing monsters, driving fast .This game is about not doing. It isn't exactly a game. There's no score, no goal. It won't be "fun" like other games. But I hope it will be enjoyable.

Play

http://www.zovirl.com/2011/09/forest.html

(May be spoilers later in the thread so play first if you care.)

I didn't find out about this till halfway through the month, when mcc clued me in. So, I have two weeks. No matter.

Description:
The timing was perfect, as I found out about this the day before attending a meditation workshop, which led to my game idea.

Most games are about doing: building empires, killing monsters, driving fast .This game is about not doing. It isn't exactly a game. There's no score, no goal. It won't be "fun" like other games. But I hope it will be enjoyable.

Quote and screenshot (possibly deceptive):

"Some say the forest is enchanted,
that spirits dwell within its shadows.
Others doubt these stories,
having run through the woods and seen only trees."

controls: close, but don't feel quite right yet
dark forest visuals: half done
Miyazaki-inspired forest spirits: barely started
subtitles: not started
writing: not started
state of the code: super sketchy, but not collapsing yet

Right, back to work...
Last edited by zovirl on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
zovirl

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Enchanted Forest

Postby mcc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 am

Wooo looks great so far :D

What are you building this in?
mcc

Postby zovirl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37 am

Html5 (<canvas> to be precise). It is my current favorite prototyping framework.
zovirl

Postby zovirl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 am

Status update time! Not as much progress as I wanted, due mainly to time spent cleaning up the messy code (was getting hard to work with) and partly due to a couple problems I hadn't expected. 1 week left. Hmm...

Unexpected problems:
Problem 1: <canvas> fill rate sucks. Made a profiling tool to find out just how much fill rate I have to play with. Answer: not a lot. Not nearly enough to draw all the trees. However, I can get about 40 full-screen drawImage operation in at 30FPS. Solution: do a lot of pre-rendering into a few layers that get composited together. This amortizes the cost of rendering the trees.

Problem 2: Parallax scrolling is a lot harder than it looks. I'm used to doing it in opengl where you get to cheat. Spent a lot of time in Braid's level editor trying to reverse engineer how parallax works there. God that game is beautiful. Spent way too long trying to find an elegant solution. Gave up on elegant. Works but the code is hard to understand/modify.

controls: [no change] close, but don't feel quite right yet
Miyazaki-inspired forest spirits: [no change] barely started
subtitles: need to trigger at the right times
dark forest visuals: getting close
writing: done!
state of the code: less sketchy after refactoring
debug mode: implemented
zovirl

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm

This one looks very interesting, I can picture it doing very well in the Pageant!
jabbyjim

Postby zovirl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:59 am

jabbyjim wrote:This one looks very interesting, I can picture it doing very well in the Pageant!

Thanks for the kind words!

I had a bit of a setback this morning: my laptop's hard drive died. I have my files safe (yay) but no machine fast enough to play it (boo). I had hoped to publish a playable version tonight after polishing a few things and testing it some. Without a machine, I'll skip the polishing/testing, publish it and hope for the best :)

http://www.zovirl.com/2011/09/forest.html

status updates get a lot easier without a computer. Everything is as done as it gets!

controls: Done!
Miyazaki-inspired forest spirits: barely started, but will have to do. Done!
subtitles: Done!
dark forest visuals: close enough. Done!
writing: Done!
state of the code: it is what it is. Done!
debug mode: Done!
publish it: Done!
zovirl

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 pm

I seem to only be able to run directly right?

This is really pretty though!
Ian Snyder

Postby jabbyjim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Its probably just me, but it was very choppy on my computer. Browser games are always a bit weird on my laptop (for some reason).

Still though, it looks great! I just kept running through the forest like a freak.... but now I get it. Interesting! I like it!! Don't forget to say "DONE" in your subject!
jabbyjim

Postby zovirl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:I seem to only be able to run directly right?

Yep that's correct :)
zovirl

Postby zovirl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:12 pm

jabbyjim wrote:Its probably just me, but it was very choppy on my computer. Browser games are always a bit weird on my laptop (for some reason.

What browser? Version? How fast is your computer?

One of my laptops is too slow to get a good framerate. There are also big differences in performance between different browsers / different versions of the same browser.

Finally there's one thing it is doing that causes a very small pause every screen width. I'll see if I can get it fixed once my computer is repaired.
zovirl

Re: Mysticism Pageant: Enchanted Forest [DONE]

Postby jabbyjim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I used Firefox 6.0.2, on a Dell laptop that is a few years old. It even plays my own browser game slow, come to think of it.

I noticed it getting crazy when I was running really really fast, but other than that it was just fine. But I think I am a rare case, truly.. i have so much crap on this laptop running it doesn't shock me too much.
jabbyjim

Postby bushmango » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I really like it! Also, that font you are using fits it perfectly, good find.

It was exactly the break I needed before finishing my game up. Very soothing. Sending to some of my friends.
bushmango

Postby WBojangles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:42 am

Very simple, neat way to make something relaxing. The scenery fit really well; I was particularly impressed at how realistic the trees could look if you stared at them long enough, despite being very hard-edged blocks for the most part.
I admit just for the fun of it I tried running as quickly as I could.
WBojangles

Postby zovirl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:48 am

bushmango wrote:Also, that font you are using fits it perfectly, good find.

That's Tangerine Bold (http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Tangerine) though I processed it to make it pixelated (didn't fit well without that)

WBojangles wrote:I admit just for the fun of it I tried running as quickly as I could.

Yeah. Me too. :)

After fixing my computer, I did one last batch of changes which are now live. All fairly subtle. Tweaked the color palette, added sunbeams, made the spirits respond slightly to your breathing, tightened up some of the timing, stopped the game loop at the end of the game so it doesn't just use your CPU forever, put it all on a real HTML page, etc. I'm calling this "really done" now.

Since we're talking about game design here, you might be interested in some things I discarded as well:
  • I wanted the spirits to look more like the spirits from Miyazaki's films so I tried to give them faces. It kept looking like a really bad 2D game though. I think maybe they were too static? I dunno. I couldn't fix it so I cut it.
  • I tried making the forest get darker the farther you go into it but it didn't look nearly as good as I expected, so I cut it.
  • There were some stars in the background (leftover from an early prototype) that just weren't adding much so I cut them.
zovirl

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Would you have a standalone version of this I could put into the official archive? (a zip of the webpage would be sufficient). Nice to have these around for posterity.
Stephen L (inactive)

Next

Return to Mysticism Pageant [September 2011]