It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 pm Advanced search

The Third Super Friendship Club Pageant - EDITOR

Archived Editor Pageant threads

The Third Super Friendship Club Pageant - EDITOR

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:19 am

Make a game with a level editor. Make the game good. Make the level editing method usable. Try to make the levels easy to share.

Starts on November 1st, finishes on November 30th.

A level needn't be a level, a game needn't be a game, an editor needn't be an editor, and sharing can take many different forms.

In terms of ease of creation and sharing, for simple environments, web-games are best suited (though you can reasonably trust that there'll be people around who'll try to make - I strongly recommend checking out Jonathan Whiting's Level Design Workship series of editors as an example of a very simple way to make an editor with easily shareable levels (without requiring crazy storage things). So, it may (or may not) be in your interest to learn some new tech. No biggie.

If you haven't made games before, and aren't sure where to start on the technical side of things, just ask : there're plenty of people here who can give guidance.

When you do decide to post about your game, say it's called "Cats Under Fire", post a thread about it with the title "Editor Pageant - Cats Under Fire". When you've finished it, edit the first post to give it a new title - something like "Editor Pageant - Cats Under Fire [ DONE ]".

If it's possible for you to make a downloadable version of your game, please make it available - I try to do a package of all participating games for archival purposes.

Any questions, please just ask below : )

(poster courtesy of sophie houlden)
Stephen L (inactive)

Re: The Third Super Friendship Club Pageant - EDITOR

Postby Digitalistic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

I'm quite loving this theme, primarily because it'll probably get me to finally learn how to properly save/load data or make a toolset.

Learning through pageantry!
Digitalistic

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 am

Digitalistic wrote:I'm quite loving this theme, primarily because it'll probably get me to finally learn how to properly save/load data or make a toolset.

Learning through pageantry!

Good, but keep your eye on the ball - it's not a toolset pageant, it's a games pageant. :)
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby Draknek » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:41 am

Oh, I like this theme. Consider this to be a statement of intent.
Draknek

Postby Chrixeleon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 am

What a coincidence! I've started working on a semi-sequel to God's Tower which has level editing at it's core. If I can add in a level editor with shareable levels I'll be all set with a pageant entry. :)
Chrixeleon

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 am

Draknek wrote:Oh, I like this theme. Consider this to be a statement of intent.

Cool :)

I really hope that I can, but...same excuse as for the previous two pageants (trying to finish a game). Booo :(
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby v21 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 am

This theme looks fantastic. I'll start mulling it over, hopefully will take part this time.
v21

Postby WBojangles » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 am

YES this sounds fun. The banner is inspiring.
WBojangles

Postby Jake Elliott » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 am

Wow, I love this theme. Building something that would require/use/involve a "level editor" sounds pretty alien to my practice, which makes it all the more appealing :) I'll have to spend some time daydreaming first, but I definitely intend to participate!
Jake Elliott

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 am

Exciting!

If anyone could do with broad strokes "how do I make an in-engine editor?" information then I could probably be persuaded to write something up. It's something fairly fundamental to the way I make games, so I've probably picked up a thing or two along the way.

Will have to try and come up with something interesting for this one..
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am

Jonathan Whiting wrote:If anyone could do with broad strokes "how do I make an in-engine editor?" information then I could probably be persuaded to write something up. It's something fairly fundamental to the way I make games, so I've probably picked up a thing or two along the way.

Just do it. :)
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 am

I should say, an ulterior inspiration was a chat with Fernando Ramallo, who occasionally goes around to primary schools in Argentina w/ Daniel Benmergui, and they go get little kids to make Spelunky levels. Which is cute.
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby Lixel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm

This is one of two things I was very interested in learning.
Makes this even more exciting, especially since this is my first Pageant/Competition entry of any kind! :D
Lixel

Postby Abel Toy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!

So yeah, I'm in :D
Abel Toy

Postby jabbyjim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:12 pm

So at risk of sounding like a total jerk here, are these Pageants judged, or are they just for fun? (And they are fun I know.. I just like slight competition). I sort of had the impression that there was a top 5 list or something, but maybe I dreamt it? The other Pageants don't appear to have a winner, so I am guessing everyone is a winner?
jabbyjim

Next

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]