It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:41 pm Advanced search

EDITOR : Kunibibi and Junibibi (DONE)

Archived Editor Pageant threads

EDITOR : Kunibibi and Junibibi (DONE)

Postby moonmagic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Kunibibi and Junibibi are best friends who enjoy picnics in remote areas. They are modest gods who appreciate the juxtaposition of comfort and the sublime. They read the Romantics a lot and fantasize about ruined castles and broken freeways.

Kunibibi and Junibibi might be a game where a player first creates a level out of blocks. They then have a limited time to play the level as the other character and make it hospitable to a picnic. They do this by planting flowers and setting the blanket down. The more flowers in the level and the higher the blanket, the better the score.

It would be best as an online game; sort of an exquisite corpse. Once a player creates the level and sets a score for it, it is available to everyone. It remains available for some time (one day?), and then the level changes to one provided by the highest scoring player. Levels would be designed after setting the high score for the current level. If a player does not design a level, the game generates one.

Only one level is available at a time. Completion of this game involves me learning some new things, like PHP. So, we will see. I'm in the middle of parent / teacher conferences right now, but I love this theme, so. Thus.

---

:LATEST BUILD:

CONTROLS: arrows

Working:

- online saving / loading of levels
- basic platforming
- levels can be completed by placing a picnic basket on two adjacent dirt tiles
- flowers can be planted
- there is now a 90 second time limit before death occurs
- the game checks every twenty-four hours to see if twenty-four hours have passed on the server, and so far does not choose to take any action

To do:

- scoring for flowers and time bonuses
- numerous tiny UI tweaks ("GO" at level beginning, intro and outro screens, etc.)
- quoting of Romantic poets
- high score world updating
- story screen / how to play
- music and sound
Last edited by moonmagic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
moonmagic

Re: EDITOR : Kunibibi and Junibibi

Postby Lixel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:28 pm

You could also do something like what GlitchHiker did. Make it playable to everyone (as an alternate mode?) and see what user's come up with, sort of a 'life' system? as in if a level fails to pass a certain 'point' the players lose, sort of like PvE. in any case, I'm *checks thesaurus*... intrigued to see how this turns out. :)
Lixel

Postby oh_cripes » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 am

It sounds cool. I like the idea of laying out a picnic, it sounds like a charming use of time.

I was thinking recently about the idea of an exquisite corpse game, I think it has a lot of potential. So I hope you get somewhere with that, I want to play it :)
oh_cripes

Postby moonmagic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 pm

A mockup:

moonmagic

Postby Radiatoryang » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm always jealous of how pretty your games always look. It's like a higher-res Game Boy palette. Also a big fan of the exquisite corpse format, though I'm afraid someone will just make an awful "unbeatable" level once they've won and hold everyone else hostage, or something like that.
Radiatoryang

Postby moonmagic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Radiatoryang wrote:I'm always jealous of how pretty your games always look. It's like a higher-res Game Boy palette. Also a big fan of the exquisite corpse format, though I'm afraid someone will just make an awful "unbeatable" level once they've won and hold everyone else hostage, or something like that.

Thank you! I think I still need to tweak some of the blocks and the flowers to make it clear which are platforms and which are active game objects.

I thought about "unbeatable" levels, and I think I'll get around that by requiring a player to set a high score in their own level before it will submit.

Again, I will have to learn how to do a lot of things before this game will be real; good thing we have a whole month.
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Making the flowers more Opniyama-like, because right now they look too much like piranha plants to me. Will post later.

edit:

and I will make more, for Variety.
moonmagic

Postby Ashkin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:04 am

This is really cute, both in premise and graphics.
Ashkin

Postby v21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 pm

This looks and sounds delightful.

And I absolutely loved your introduction:

Kunibibi and Junibibi are best friends who enjoy picnics in remote areas. They are modest gods who appreciate the juxtaposition of comfort and the sublime. They read the Romantics a lot and fantasize about ruined castles and broken freeways.

I'm not entirely sure how "high enough score" would work. And would you collect levels off of everyone who beats them, but only display the highest scoring players level tommorrow? But I do love the "one a day" part. And I guess the collecting levels off everyone part kind of adds to the excitement. Did I get on? Did anyone bump me off? But I have faith in you finding good solutions.
v21

Postby moonmagic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks everyone; it is really encouraging to hear nice things.

v21 wrote:I'm not entirely sure how "high enough score" would work. And would you collect levels off of everyone who beats them, but only display the highest scoring players level tommorrow? But I do love the "one a day" part. And I guess the collecting levels off everyone part kind of adds to the excitement. Did I get on? Did anyone bump me off? But I have faith in you finding good solutions.

How I imagine it is this: the player attempts to plant flowers and place the picnic basket as quickly as possible. The score is determined by a number of factors:

- proximity of flowers to Emblems of Civilization (the broken televisions and pillars)
- altitude of flowers
- altitude of picnic basket
- total time taken

If a player achieves a high score, they design a level. If they can play their level and place a picnic basket, it is uploaded to the server. The server only holds one level at a time. If a new score is set, a new level gets uploaded. The highest score is displayed during the game, so you know where you stand.

I think I am going to modify the PHP high scores tutorial over at flashpunk.net and use it to store the score and levels. I am really excited about this idea, but I am in the midst of writing report cards and working on Hungry Forest (my JUSTICE pageant game) so I am almost certainly going to go over the allotted time. Here is my Plan For Success:

1. Get a level editor saving and loading tilemaps (modifying my Hungry Forest mouseover code).
2. Get the levels saving and loading online.
3. Put the basic mechanics in (jumping, planting, picnic-ing, dying).
4. Write the score conditions.
5. Make cute sounds.
6.Write two cute tunes.
7. Fill the game with random Lake Poet Words to emphasize sublimity of player actions ("LONELY! AS! A! CLOUD!", "KUBLA! KHAN!", "ALBION! SHUDDERS!").
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:16 am

A font test (spaces aren't working, so I must have miscounted early on) and title screen placeholder. That's all for tonight.

Next: editor UI maybe!
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:22 am

coded the UI for the editor; it can flip from the top to the bottom of the screen (and back!) and it knows when it is in “record”, “play”, or “stop” mode. it also moves the cursor around when you click on the different blocks and tells you what block type you have selected.

next: placing blocks!
even nexter: saving a level!
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok! I can place blocks now, and clicking the PLAY button dumps the entire level into an array of strings!

So many exclamation points, but this kind of thing is very new to me. It is nice to think of a way to do something and have it work, even though I know there are many more elegant solutions that exist.

Next: save the level to the server, and retrieve it to build the level!

After that: level objects to replace the editor markers with!

!!!!

Also, I've provided a great snapshot of my often clumsy solutions to basic misunderstandings I have about how things are instantiated in Flashpunk.
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 am

Ok, I've got local saving and loading done. I'm learning how to use mySQL; next is saving and loading the level string from an SQL database.

All my images are broken, currently; I'm moving lazercatz.com. Should be back up by tomorrow.

EDIT: so close to online saving and loading! I have fought and definitely wounded the PHP / mySQL dragon.
moonmagic

Postby moonmagic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:14 pm

The editor now saves and loads the level from an online database.

MAKE SOMETHING?

Just uploaded the .swf, so let me know if it's totally broken.

And happy (American) Thanksgiving!
Last edited by moonmagic on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonmagic

Next

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]