It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:34 pm Advanced search

EDITOR: Towers [DONE]

Archived Editor Pageant threads

EDITOR: Towers [DONE]

Postby jabbyjim » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

It is complete. I am not happy about how it turned out (not entirely how I pictured it.. and its slightly buggy), but at least the editor works. I will be working in this game until its the way I would like, but ... in the spirit of the Super Friendship Club, I had fun and it compiled properly! In the meantime, my goal to be noticed by indiegames.com will have to be put on pause.

The game is called towers, and the concept is that you are dropped into a tower, and you are timed in how long it takes for you to escape, simple enough. Each level of the tower consists of small rooms that you have to find the "hole" to drop to the next level. Try to avoid the evil dudes in robes (they will kill you).... and you can shoot fireballs.. square ones (don't ask). I made a default level which is no more than 4 levels. When you finish you are outside the tower and told how long it took you. Thats it.

The editor is very basic. You can make walls, enemies, and doorways (which are holes in the floor). If you try opening a file and then "cancel" it breaks so be careful. I'm working on that. Other than that you can make levels and share them if you would like. I wanted to add different types of enemies, blocks, doors but ... 95% of the work went into the editor. You can make as many floors in the tower as you want, a part of the editor I worked very hard on. Removing levels... well I couldn't get that working in time so that's later.

My goal was for people to be able to make levels to trade and challenge each other, so if you make one and want to share it please do. Post how long it takes you to finish the default level, if you go that far.

Please feel free to share your frustration, gratitude, or anything about the game. This will not win awards, but its my first 3dish game from scratch so its kind of an accomplishment for me.

Directions:
To move around, use the normal ASDW Keys. Arrow keys won't work so don't try it. The mouse helps you move around, as well as the mouse button will help you shoot fireballs (square ones, mind you). When you find a hole in the floor, try to fall down it. If you aren't falling move around a bit.. and loose some weight so you will fit through (that was a joke.. another part of the game I'm trying to fix).

Download: PC (VERSION 1.0) - no install needed
http://jabbyjim.dyndns.biz/download/towers/towers.exe

Screenshots:

Notes: version 1.0 - almost no bells and whistles in this one, no music .. almost no sounds... pretty basic and slightly buggy
potential fixes - falling down the hole easier would be nice
- being able to leave the editor without ending the entire game
- different types of walls, etc ..
- editor not crashing if you "cancel" a load/save
- more to come I am sure.. let me know if you see something crazy!
- make time more .. understandable instead of just a jumble of numbers
Last edited by jabbyjim on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
jabbyjim

Re: EDITOR: JerkyFace

Postby Ian Snyder » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Do what excites you! Don't worry about whether or not it's "indie"!

Ultimately, what sounds fun is always a long shot from what is fun. QWOP, for example, does not sound nearly as fun in theory as it is in practice. If you're enjoying making it, that's all that matters.
Ian Snyder

Re: EDITOR: JerkyFace

Postby Lixel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 am

Totally agree with Ian, go with what you want to make. :D
Lixel

Re: EDITOR: JerkyFace (w/ screenshot)

Postby jabbyjim » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:25 pm

finally, screenshots! Ok.. just two little ones. Graphics are going to change somewhat. And you are not going to be floating on a square plate out in space. Then the game part still needs to be done. So much to do!!

OK, making a little progress. I finally got the editor working, which is alot more work than the 3d. So far I only have walls working, and its only in a 10x10 grid. But still...

jabbyjim

Re: EDITOR: JerkyFace (now with screenshot!)

Postby Ashkin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Oh, this looks nice. I'd love a dungeon crawl level editor :3
Ashkin

Postby jabbyjim » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 am

update: putting more walls up, changing the graphics a bit. Trying to think of something "clever"
jabbyjim

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I made some progress with the editor, finally. Its an interesting challenge, because the last time I made a good editor, was back in the VB4 days. So now I can easily create a level, and then walk through it. I can only place and remove walls at the moment. Your perspective starts in the top left corner, looking right. The editor will show that later, but you can see in the 3D version of the may I am looking above the S.

ImageImage

I was also doing some testing with stuff on the walls, and I added a hand, and I can shoot fireballs (ok... alot has changed). Fireballs come out as squares right now (I'll include a screenshot on that later). I haven't decided if I like that or not! The hand artwork is only temporary .. its from another game, any guesses?? (it looks great right now, but I will use something else similar later)
jabbyjim

Re: EDITOR: Towers (old name was JerkyFace)

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm

so the name change finally came, after I solidified my idea.. for those that liked the original name "Jerkyface" I appologize!

A dungeon crawler (3d ish) one would have been nice, but I certainly do not have time to make a light RPG. Random walls and encounters fixes time issues, but then makes having an editor useless (in my opinion). I still want to make a somewhat reasonable game that people can play if they don't feel like editing anything.

So, to be unique, I thought I would make the game into a sort of "escape the tower" scenario. Which brings me more editor work, and its coming along but I'm starting to panic. When its done, users will be able to create "towers" that are nothing more than a challenging race to get out of a tall 3dish building visually reminiscent of wolfenstein3d.

I'm hoping a few people will make tower files that can be exchanged and whatnot. I'm not entirely sure how this will work with HTML5 though. I'm running out of time quickly!
jabbyjim

Re: EDITOR: Towers (old name was JerkyFace)

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Fireballs, eh? Excellent.
Stephen L (inactive)

Re: EDITOR: Towers

Postby jabbyjim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

oh CRAP I don't think I'm going to finish.. not like the way I wanted to anyway!
jabbyjim

Re: EDITOR: Towers (COMPLETE)

Postby jabbyjim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 pm

finished... I edited the top part of this thread with the latest info!
jabbyjim

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]