It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 pm Advanced search

EDITOR : Reckless Adventurer [DONE]

Archived Editor Pageant threads

EDITOR : Reckless Adventurer [DONE]

Postby dlan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Here's the pitch : Our little hero like to live the adventurous life, and search for treasure. The only problem is that he have the bad habit of rushing straight into traps, lava pool and poisonous river. Since you can't control him, the best way to help him is to change the environment so that he can safely reach the end of the level.

The game allow you to edit directly the tile map so that you can remove any traps and other hazardous environment, The number of tiles you can use will be limited, so that you have to carefully plan the move of the hero. I have yet to consider the different type of tiles that could be available. So far I have thought about theses :

• grass (default tile)
  • Lava (deal damage)
  • Ice (faster movement)
  • Gravel (slower movement)
  • Traps (with spike coming from the ground)
  • Poison (deal damage over time)
  • Wall / trees (non walkable tiles)

If you have suggestion, throw them at me :)

I also think about adding a 2 player mode, where one of the player edit the tile map, while the other control the hero and obviously try to kill it :) Don't know if I will have enough time for this, we'll see.

a screenshot :

and link to the first build (Flash):
http://www.uncovergame.com/recklessadventurer/

I have yet to flesh out the level editor, that's the next step on my todo list.
Last edited by dlan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dlan

Re: EDITOR : Reckless Adventurer

Postby v21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 pm

That's neat. I played through and there's a nice panic of laying stuff down before he gets there. Maybe especially since I was playing with a trackpad.

Obviously it's early days yet, but have you thought about having monsters who might attack him - you'd need to lay down deadly tiles to kill them, but obviously keep them away from him. What i reckon would also feel fantastic is to have the pacing of the character almost taunt you ... I'm slowly wandering this way - oh, no, fooled you, I'm running straight for a lava pit! And maybe tiles he 'll just bounce off, and go in another direction.
v21

Postby dlan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm

yeah, adding monsters could be a good addition, I need to think about how to integrate them nicely, so it don't become unplayable, but that's something to try out.

v21 wrote:What i reckon would also feel fantastic is to have the pacing of the character almost taunt you ... I'm slowly wandering this way - oh, no, fooled you, I'm running straight for a lava pit!

hehe, this is the kind of idea that could cross this little adventurer mind :)

anyway, that call for rounds of experimentation, thanks for the feedback !
dlan

Postby dlan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

uploaded a new build with a level editor. you can now edit the first level and add new traps along the way :)

currently implementing mapcycle and ice / gravel tiles behavior. I am a little short on time, so I don't think I will add enemies.
dlan

Postby dlan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Done ! I added 2 level, win conditions / chest (give you tiles) / and limitation on the number of tiles you can use, so be careful to not waste them :)

screen of the final version

and the link to the finished build

http://www.uncovergame.com/recklessadventurer/

I'd like to come back to it one day, to add monsters, multiplayer and improve the graphics, but for now, that's all I can manage on the pageant boundaries.
Last edited by dlan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlan

Re: EDITOR : Reckless Adventurer [DONE]

Postby Ian Snyder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Clicking on game first gives a black screen. I'd be more comfortable if I could play the game before making levels.

In the editor, there was no clear 'test level' button, at least not one clear enough. My first instinct was to try 'load level' which gave me an empty list.
Ian Snyder

Postby dlan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:Clicking on game first gives a black screen.

Could be because of a long request to the server, since I load levels from a database, It could be problematic for people who aren't in europe. I will add a load message. Logically, if you wait long enough, it should load the level. It should be the same problem that make your level list empty, I will see what's possible to reduce the latency with the server. Thanks for reporting it !
dlan

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I wasn't able to load or save levels successfully either :(
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby dlan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 am

It's embarrassing, but I just find that I forget the www. in front of the link in the first post. somehow, flash doesn't like it, and refuse to successfully call the back end. I have updated the link in the first post, should work now. Now, if you excuse me, I will hide myself under a rock...

EDIT : I have added a test button in editor mode, so you can try out your level (you have to save them first). Haven't found a clean way to go back to editing mode from game mode with flixel, so you have to reload the page to go back to edit mode.
dlan

Postby dlan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:44 pm

I made the code available over bitbucket
https://bitbucket.org/gantz/recklessadventurer/overview

It's quite messy, but it could be of some use for people who wondered how to implement a save / load mechanism with a database in flash.
dlan

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]