It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:57 am Advanced search

EDITOR: Traal [DONE]

Archived Editor Pageant threads

EDITOR: Traal [DONE]

Postby Draknek » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Traal is a puzzle horror game created by Alan Hazelden and Jonathan Whiting.

We started it for a 48 hour jam last weekend, and now have improved some things for the pageant deadline.

You can access the editor by pressing E (but play the game first: spoilers!)

Editor controls:
Shift+ESC: clear level.
Space: open tile-chooser.
Arrows: move around level.
E: test level. You will be spawned at the mouse position unless there is a player-spawn tile in the room you're looking at.
Shift+S: save level file.
Shift+O: open level file.
Shift+C: copy room.
Shift+V: paste room.
Shift+Arrows: move everything inside room.
Draknek

Re: EDITOR: Traal

Postby Ian Snyder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Looking good so far, my biggest complaint though is that exiting and entering rooms can get kind of frustrating. Because I must hold my mouse down outside the game to leave a room, it can lead to the browser losing focus on the flash app. I'll click to get focus back which will sometimes make me accidentally see an eyething and run into some spikes. I also found that the way I was entering room led me to look directly at eyethings upon entry, immediately sending me back a room.

I think frustration from this could be lessened if the exits just acted like walls while you were running away.
Ian Snyder

Postby Draknek » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:24 pm

!

It is mouse-controlled for you? That is really weird, it should only do that on touchscreen devices.

Uploaded a new build which should definitely use arrows.
Draknek

Postby Ian Snyder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Ah, much better.
Ian Snyder

Postby jabbyjim » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:26 pm

wow, fun!
jabbyjim

Postby Radiatoryang » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 pm

oh my god the sound design is too unsettling, especially the "alert!" sound, I had to play on mute
Radiatoryang

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:50 am

I jumped when the dude chased after me. Creeepy.

Don't know how I feel about the puzzles. Didn't complete them all by any means, but hmmm...not sure about all of them.
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby moonmagic » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:33 am

I enjoyed the sounds a lot; it made the creatures aversive in a very palpable way, without modifying their behaviors. This game is like a reverse Sentinel, although I think the wide arc of the vision cone produced failures that occasionally felt unpredictable.

Love the colors. The best Apple II edit, it is full of nostalgic feelings.
moonmagic

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 am

Stephen Lavelle wrote:Don't know how I feel about the puzzles. Didn't complete them all by any means, but hmmm...not sure about all of them.

If you can recall any particular puzzles that felt off it'd be helpful to know which. Sadly there's a bit of clumsyness to some the puzzles that seems somewhat intrinisic to the mechanics; or at least, I haven't found find a way to shake it off. I keep trying to rework bits but without a great deal of success, might be something we just have to put up with.

moonmagic wrote:Love the colors. The best Apple II edit, it is full of nostalgic feelings.

Thanks :-) I didn't have any particular system in mind when choosing them, but looking at Apple II screenshots I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby mcc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:10 am

Oh, I liked this a lot. The mood is just nailed, the puzzles/mechanic felt very original to me and I liked how the puzzles seemed to arise so organically-- I didn't even realize I was playing a puzzle game until I got a good 1/3 of the way through it. I liked the "do it again, but with the blindfold" element... this felt like more than a 1-month / 48hour game. You should totally add a reward for 100%ing and rerelease at some point :D
mcc

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am

mcc wrote:You should totally add a reward for 100%ing and rerelease at some point :D

We are doing this :-)

Aiming for the pageant deadline (so, soon).
Jonathan Whiting

Postby mcc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 am

Awesome :D
mcc

Postby Bryant » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 am

This is a clever concept :) I loved the feeling of fighting for control over my character. It's an interesting sensation, and not one that I've seen explored in many other games.

Well crafted :)
Bryant

Re: EDITOR: Traal [DONE]

Postby Draknek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 am

Updated and done!
Draknek

Re: EDITOR: Traal [DONE]

Postby J__ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 am

Hey, new things. That room near the beginning with fake spikes is new, right? I like the fact you gave the spike animation an actual gameplay use. For some reason I didn't end up in any of the dead-ends, which made it feel a little too long for not having anything new after the first few seconds. That's probably just me, though.

So, it seems if you don't match up the open areas between rooms, you can get stuck. I assume you knew this because none of the existing rooms do this? Also, can I assume undo/redo is planned?
J__

Next

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]