It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:51 pm Advanced search

EDITOR: Brain Requirement Just A Formality [DONE]

Archived Editor Pageant threads

EDITOR: Brain Requirement Just A Formality [DONE]

Postby J__ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Draknek suggested I enter this game here. It's something I've been working on for some time (since before November); I haven't really been focusing on content, but there's enough to show. Oh, right, and there's a level editor.

It's a tile-based puzzle game where you move blocks of different types to their goals to win. Here are some current screenshots:

Some interesting stuff:
  • Levels can be auto-solved through the pause menu if you're stuck, and you can pause this and advance it step-by-step.
  • When you save a level, you're asked to solve it, and your solution is recorded and can be played back just as with non-custom levels
  • Windows has some silly filename restrictions.
  • Even pseudo-physics like this is hard.
  • Widespread string compression techniques (zlib/bz2/lzma) aren't the way to go for sharing levels like this via a code.

Edit: downloads:
  • source (do not download this on Windows: it contains files with characters Windows can't handle)
  • Windows

I should probably say that the sounds are terrible, and that the first thing you should do is turn them off (options/sound/theme=none).
Last edited by J__ on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
J__

Re: EDITOR: Brain requirement just a formality [DONE]

Postby jabbyjim » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 am

Interesting game! I could not for the life of me figure out level 06 though. It seems impossible to me!
jabbyjim

Postby J__ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 am

Hah. Hint: look at the controls listed in the readme (though you don't actually need the extra ones I added specifically to make the couple of levels like this easier).
J__

Postby Draknek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Source links don't include the music directory and trying to run the game gives an error saying it's looking for that directory (even though there is no music playing?) Copying music from the Windows download makes it work.

Would like the level select screen to auto-select the next level after completion, or just go skip the level select screen and go straight there.

Diagonal movement: yuck. Hint on level 6 needed to be way more explicit for me to understand this was possible.

Level 7: my brain processed the brown squares in the corner as solid despite having seen them before, making me play around a bit before I accidentally pushed a block onto one of them and remembered.

Might make some levels that focus on pushing multiple blocks if I get some time: that to me is the most interesting difference between this and Sokoban.
Draknek

Postby J__ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am

Draknek wrote:Source links don't include the music directory and trying to run the game gives an error saying it's looking for that directory (even though there is no music playing?) Copying music from the Windows download makes it work.

This doesn't come from code to play music, which does fail gracefully if the directory's not there, but from looking through the directory to get a list of 'sound themes'... Fixed, anyway (but not uploaded yet).

Draknek wrote:Would like the level select screen to auto-select the next level after completion, or just go skip the level select screen and go straight there.

Hmm, something you never think about when you're not doing them in order. I'll make it so it starts the next incomplete level if you just completed a level for the first time.

Draknek wrote:Diagonal movement: yuck. Hint on level 6 needed to be way more explicit for me to understand this was possible.

Really? I'm a bit surprised at this, because before here, no-one else has assumed you can only move into a tile next to the one you're in. I've heard that it's hard to actually move diagonally (and this is now fixed in a couple of ways) - but they all knew what to do pretty much straight away. Actually giving the concept a level of its own was supposed to help avoid this too. I'm wondering if no tile borders would help or just complicate things more.

Draknek wrote:Level 7: my brain processed the brown squares in the corner as solid despite having seen them before, making me play around a bit before I accidentally pushed a block onto one of them and remembered.

Very silly.

Edit: those two changes are in the download now.
J__

Postby Draknek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't think it's a problem with the appearance, just with my set of assumptions.

Also weren't there more than 10 levels in an older version?
Draknek

Postby J__ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Oh, hah, I forgot to include the other 5 since I don't have them commited to Mercurial. And I even included that warning in the first post about them being in there. Added them now.
J__

Return to Editor Pageant [November 2011]