It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 am Advanced search

Justice Pageant - Justice Sumsutch [DONE-ish]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - Justice Sumsutch [DONE-ish]

Postby The Asking » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get something done for the Justice pageant but I've got two ideas and am struggling decide between them. First off a friend of mine is hoping to make a point and click adventure game for the pageant - I don't want to go into his idea as I don't believe he hasn't posted about it yet but it would be a darkly humorous game about a man who, for particularly ridiculous reasons, commits allot of murder. The reasons are pretty farcical and given that I thought it might be fun to make companion game - from the point of view of a detective investigating the killings and, to contrast with the original game, make it as gritty and gruesome as possible. The idea would be to have the the main character take the comical events of the other game completely seriously as he investigates them. I recently finished creating a text based adventure so, if I were to go with this idea, my intention is to reuse that code and maybe add it a little to make it more of a Myst style game with pictures and hotspots rather than full-on text based.

It would probably be sensible to go with that as I am hideously slow at making games ( I enjoy them too much) and much of the code already exists. However my second idea - one that I have been toying around with for a time, is to make a game in the style of Professor Layton, or Puzzle Agent. I have some an ideas for characters- Justice Reginald Sumsutch, a legal justice who, along with his assistant - Button, attempts to get to the bottom of a case he presides over when he suspects something is amiss. The plan would be to keep it small, only have 5 or 6 puzzles and, again, Myst style navigation.

I really can't imagine I could possibly get the latter done in a month, but there again it may be fun to try.
Last edited by The Asking on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Asking

Re: Justice Pageant - Two ideas

Postby Abel Toy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Your / your friend ideas remind me of this pageant. Are they related or something?
Abel Toy

Postby The Asking » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:04 pm

No relation. I do know Mattias, I used his Pixie game engine to make my text adventure (if anyone needs a quick way to get things going in C++ I recommend it) but I did not know he was making detective style game. Looks pretty slick!
The Asking

Postby Mattias Gustavsson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Well, I was aware of those ideas (we've talked a bit about them at work), and I think I was partially inspired by them when I came up with mine, so it is no wonder you saw similarities :-) Well spotted.
Mattias Gustavsson

Re: Justice Pageant - Justice Sumsutch

Postby The Asking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm

HI ALL!

Life unexpectedly happened the past few days and is threatening to happen again this weekend so little progress has been made beyond planning out the story and some of the puzzles. I decided to go with the second of the two ideas I described above, time constraints be damned (also because it looks as if that friend of mine is not making his entry so my contrasting companion game would be a bit sad by itself).

I've settled on the title; Justice Sumsutch and the Case of the Least Inventive Murder. It will, if I get it to a playable stage, be a very silly game. To give myself more of a shot at actually doing that I'm going make it as a series of simple puzzles, the kind of thing you would expect in a professor Layton style game but without the exploration. In it's place I intend to link the puzzles with comic book style scenes with little, though still some, interaction. A major barrier to that is going to be actually making those images. Matthias swears by Poser so I am going to give that a go this weekend. If anyone else has any other pointers, they would be welcome.

I have been working on a couple of the puzzles and will post some screen shots soon - hopefully tomorrow!
The Asking

Postby The Asking » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Right, well it's been well over a week since I said I would post screens; I completely misjudged how hard it would be to get going with Poser. In fact I have almost completely given up. I hate the program with a passion and have turned to its rival; DAZ Studio. It's by no means perfect but I find it much easier to use and, crucially, stable. I am still using Poser for a couple of models I bought that don't play ball with DAZ. As result I am having to composite images from the two programs together and in some cases, it's quite clear that's what's happened, but oh well.

Here's a couple images of two early puzzles;

This is the very first puzzle, a real brain teaser, designed to sieve out those who wouldn't really be able to play the game.

And this is the third puzzle. Sumsutch's assistant Button is locked in a tub in his office. It's where Sumsutch keeps him, but he's forgotten how to unlock it, it's been so long since he needed him.

Those two puzzles are fully working, my next task is to get the second up and running; Sumsutch's notes for the case are out of order and the player has to rearrange them - forcing them to read up on the details of the case and get all the back story in one fell swoop. Once that's done I can get some of these scenes I've been making in Poser/Daz in to link up the puzzles.

Given how much time I've lost getting to grips with the modeling I'm really not going to get this finished but I'll definitely have something playable, even if it's only the first few puzzles.

Onward!
The Asking

Postby Darien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

The Asking wrote:Sumsutch's notes for the case are out of order and the player has to rearrange them - forcing them to read up on the details of the case and get all the back story in one fell swoop.

Reminds me of the wonderful line in the first Puzzle Agent where you meet up with the sheriff in the diner and he tells you he mixed up all the photos of the crime scene so you could put them back in the right order.
Darien

Postby The Asking » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 pm

If I had the skills the tone of Puzzle Agent would be what I would go for with this, but I don't so I'm not. Really enjoyed that game so am complimented this reminded you of it!
The Asking

Postby The Asking » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Quite a few developments have taken place since my last post. The game is playable through to just after the third puzzle, the model I'm using for the main character has changed because it was rubbish and I have toned down Button, because, as it turns out, an abused child forced to live in a bathtub is more sad than funny. Who'd have thought it.

As for the rest, there's no way I will get the rest done so I'm considering doing something cheeky like stopping after the next puzzle or two, then just shoving the final puzzle on the end with a wall of text to fill the story in-between.

I'll just have to see how it goes. Anyway, are some screens;

The Asking

Re: Justice Pageant - Justice Sumsutch [DONE-ish]

Postby The Asking » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Ok well the game is now playable from start to finish though to get that done I've had to fall back on a lot of placeholder screens, but I really wanted to have something done in the time frame so here it is;

http://mattiasgustavsson.com/asking/SumsutchDraft.zip

Just download it, unzip it, run it and let me know what you think.

I'm still calling it a draft because I intend to continue with it; fill in the placeholders, add saving and loading games, add a title screen, tidy up all the images and fonts and try and make all the puzzles easier to interact with. Also I really want to record all the voices.

Somethings bug me about it that I haven't had time to fix; the second puzzle is too hard for where it is in the game, the spot the difference puzzle has a clear difference which I didn't even notice in my renders (his left arm moves as well as his right) so I need to add that, but I'll get to those in time and am pretty pleased with how it's turned out as a first pass if nothing more.

Hope you enjoy!
The Asking

Postby Ardbob » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Well what's important is that you have a working game (from start to finish is actually awesome!). I'll download it and play soon. Can't wait. I love puzzles and mysteries.
Ardbob

Postby The Asking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Mattias has let me know of a bug in the third puzzle; it matters which way round the t's go so if anyone gets stuck try swapping them. I will upload a fixed version tomorrow.

Playing it again I recon I should have gone with a higher resolution. I could move up to one still but re-rendering everything would be a load of work.
The Asking

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]