It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:33 am Advanced search

[justice] Murder Dog IV: Trial Of The Murder Dog [DONE]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

[justice] Murder Dog IV: Trial Of The Murder Dog [DONE]

Postby thecatamites » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Trying to release a quick AGS game..! only started quite recently but it's coming along ok i think.

the objective is to guide Murder Dog through his trial for crimes against humanity. there are Many Ending's..! It is partially inspired by the awkward, unbelievably dense GUI from the old DOS game Psychic War: Cosmic Soldier... I like the idea of trying to navigate between all these fragmented representations and pieces of information being dumped on you all at once & thought there was maybe a similarity between this and the way the legal system must attempt to reconstruct what ~really happened~ via evidence and witnesses and so forth, although i'm not really sure how well this idea will end up being represented in the gameplay!

but my real goal is to just make a goofy, barfy game and get it out there so we shall see. . . .

EDIT: Game is up http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/adventure/murder-dog-iv-trial-of-the-murder-dog/5807/
Last edited by thecatamites on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecatamites

Re: [justice] Murder Dog IV: Trial Of The Murder Dog

Postby Erenan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:29 pm

!

I've never been so excited! This looks great! Please finish it so I can play!

Seriously, I love the premise of this game. Are there already Murder Dog I-III, are you starting with IV for humor value, or is it a Star Wars kinda thing?

Also, I've never played that Psychic War: Cosmic Soldier game, but now I kind of want to.
Erenan

Postby thecatamites » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks!
There actually were some previous games in the Murder Dog Franchise [Merchandise Dog]: the first "Murder Dog" was a collab project with Tales Of Game's Studios based ona jokepost i made once, it was a nes-style sidescrolling beat-em-up that unfortunately never got off the ground... "Murder Dog II" was an AGS game I was tinkering with a few months ago in which Murder Dog must navigate the treacherous webs of memory & desire in order to "put the bite on crime" in his own brutal way, but I never followed through on it. And I decided to skip Murder Dog III because I thought IV sounded funnier! Really I've just been meaning to use the name in some form or other for a while now...
thecatamites

Postby Jasper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:34 pm

I was hoping we'd be joined by the catamites. Look forward to this one... Still dying to see you do some more pixel art, but murder dog there gets me going too - his unibrow is amazing.
Jasper

Postby Darien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:00 am

Is that a unibrow? I was viewing it as sunglasses.
Darien

Postby ThreeOhFour » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:07 am

Aw man, super neat to see another AGS dev around, especially one I recognize. This looks as bizarre an entertaining as I've come to expect from your stuff, hope you finish it :D
ThreeOhFour

Postby thecatamites » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Hope to have this done by tomorrow, by the way. It would have been sooner but there were some unexpectedly sunny days over here which I spent sprawled outside like a big lizard... Irresponsible... That kind of situation is lose-lose...

the eyes move & twitch depending on the "question" you ask
thecatamites

Re: [justice] Murder Dog IV: Trial Of The Murder Dog [DONE]

Postby thecatamites » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 pm

gamelink added to the OP
thecatamites

Postby Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Downloading, but a Mac user, so will have to get onto Windows to play it... I'm a bit frazzled by the sun myself right now, so I'm a bit worried what it might do to me in this state.
Jasper

Postby Stephen L (inactive) » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I was able to get this to work on my mac (though in windowed mode only) with playonmac. Had a good time.

Wasn't sure what to do on this screen, I tried clicking everything, read the text, then just clicked on a bunch of more things over and over again until stuff started happening. From your comment I learn that there are tells I should have been looking out for.

I liked eating the jurists. I tried to eat them by clicking on the image before I thought to click on their word.
Stephen L (inactive)

Postby SaintOfPenguins » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 am

Played through it today and linked it to a friend. Both of us rather enjoyed it!

Incredibly outlandish, quite humorous, mysterious underlying logic, and rife with social commentary.... what's not to like?

Like your style, cheers!
SaintOfPenguins

Postby nihilocrat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:15 pm

This game is amazing, an ode to adventure games and their "the player should just try all options until they get something that works" approach.

The black-and-white drawings and text descriptions are a great way to cut down on having to actually draw everything decently, and is totally in groove with the game.
nihilocrat

Postby Jasper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Spent about 30 minutes typing up why this is one of the most inspiring and murderously brilliant gems of the year, was auto-timed out and lost it. :(

In short:

- First playthrough, I pleaded guily. Excellent verdict.
- Second playthrough, I used the EAT option before even giving my plea. I don't think I've ever laughed so loud at a videogame before.
- Final playthrough I proved the Machiavellian Mutt innocent, and despite loving the Monkey-Island-type-puzzle-with-the-plank, I felt it lacked some of the spark of the other two playthroughs. Was it too long? Not enough murdering and eating? Perhaps that was it... the other options provided in-court murder, but I wanted my cake and to murder and eat it, to let the Murder Dog go free, and to have murdered / eaten some of the obstacles in his way.

All in all, another great game from you man, thanks for making it.
Jasper

Postby Jonas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 am

Jonas

Postby jamus28 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Murdered everyone in the whole city, escaped free, and received "best canonical ending" award.

Don't think I'll use that email though.
jamus28

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]