It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:47 pm Advanced search

Justice Pageant - No Longer Subject to Judicial Review[DONE]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice Pageant - No Longer Subject to Judicial Review[DONE]

Postby NiallM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Play the game here.

And it's kind of unnecessary for such a simple game, but here's a screenshot:
[original post]
(not sure about the title - I may well change it further down the line)

I'm going to make a game about my discomfort with the way crimes like murders, abductions etc. tend to get reported in the (British, though it may well be the same elsewhere) media. Specifically, the way you often hear people (commentators, victims, etc.) crying for justice to be served, while at the same time sounding like what they actually want is revenge, someone to punish. It's tied in to the extremely emotional way such crimes are reported, as if the simple facts aren't sufficiently appalling.

What worries me is the potential for miscarriages of justice if this line of thought is carried to its extreme. It doesn't matter who did it, as long as someone is punished. Particularly as the government (new labour as well as the tories, if I recall correctly) seem to be gradually re-writing our laws to better appease such media campaigns for 'justice'.

Anyway, the game will be fairly simple, as I've gotten into a bad habit of starting games and not finishing them lately. It'll be a series of newspaper articles about a particular crime, with the player's job being to pick out clues from them and determine who actually committed it. My plan is to take the articles from actual newspaper/online articles and change the names and some of the details so they form a vaguely coherent narrative, keeping the hyperbole and subtle (and not-so-subtle) biases intact.

I'm doing it in html and javascript as that seems the natural choice for something like this. It's the first time I've done anything in javascript though, so it may turn out a little clunky.
[/original post]
Last edited by NiallM on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NiallM

Re: Justice Pageant - No Longer Subject to Judicial Review

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 am

This sounds like a good idea, I look forward to seeing the result.

Are you planning to reveal to the player whether their deductions are correct? I feel like this (unusually) might be most effective if you deliberately neglect to tell the player how well they did.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby NiallM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 am

Jonathan Whiting wrote:This sounds like a good idea, I look forward to seeing the result.

Are you planning to reveal to the player whether their deductions are correct? I feel like this (unusually) might be most effective if you deliberately neglect to tell the player how well they did.

Yeah, my plan is to display a news article at the end saying something about the future of the case (e.g. 'after spending 5 years behind bars, new evidence came to light...' or, '...died in prison having always protested his innocence') so that there's some kind of conclusion, but ambiguous enough that the player can never be entirely sure they made the right choice.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:22 pm

I've uploaded an initial version here.

It's missing a lot of content (including one of the endings), and there's probably a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies as a result of me grabbing articles from entirely unrelated cases, but the mechanics are all there.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 pm

I've uploaded a new version to the same location, now with 6 articles and 2 extra suspects.

I could use some feedback on it - does it all hang together, at all? The more I think about it, the more it seems that my decision to try and shoehorn in articles about entirely unrelated cases is detrimental to the point I'm trying to make (the media collectively focusing on one suspect and effectively convicting them before they've gone to trial). I'm starting to think I should just grab a bunch of articles about a single, widely-covered case, and use them, rather than try to patch up all the plot holes resulting from my current approach.
NiallM

Postby NiallM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 am

Hmm... After scouting out a story covered widely enough that I could use it for this, I'm starting to feel squicky about using a real-life tragedy (albeit with names and locations changed) to make a point.

So. New direction. I'm now going to just invent a case and try and match my writing for each article to that of a particular paper. We'll see how that goes.
NiallM

Postby thecatamites » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 pm

For some reason when I click on any of the headlines to the left the articles open for about half a second before resetting to the original page (letter from PM)! I'm running internet explorer (poss. ill-advisedly??) so this might be it. As far as I know I have javascript etc installed already too.

From what I saw though I'd say the writing definitely has a handle on the mixture of pious sentimentality & hysterical prurience with which all this stuff tends to get reported! The instructions from the "PM" seemed kind of vague in terms of how the clues / case would actually be put together but since I wasn't able to get anywhere idk if this is intentional or not. It looks promising so far though!
thecatamites

Postby NiallM » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:45 pm

thecatamites wrote:For some reason when I click on any of the headlines to the left the articles open for about half a second before resetting to the original page (letter from PM)! I'm running internet explorer (poss. ill-advisedly??) so this might be it. As far as I know I have javascript etc installed already too.

That's odd. I've been mainly testing on firefox, but I did check it worked on IE - that problem was something I thought I'd fixed early on. Are we maybe running different versions of IE? I'm apparently on v9.

thecatamites wrote:From what I saw though I'd say the writing definitely has a handle on the mixture of pious sentimentality & hysterical prurience with which all this stuff tends to get reported! The instructions from the "PM" seemed kind of vague in terms of how the clues / case would actually be put together but since I wasn't able to get anywhere idk if this is intentional or not. It looks promising so far though!

Thanks :) I'm not sure if I can make the instructions more clear - you're literally just selecting any clues you think are relevant and then when you're done, the 'make judgement' button will inform you who the most likely killer is based on your selection (though depending on your selection you will usually get a choice of who to convict based on that information).

Also, I've updated the game again. This time I've replaced all the articles I grabbed from actual newspapers with articles I wrote myself. I've got one more still to do (in a hysterical News of the World/Sun style, so that should be fun), and I've yet to write the conclusion articles, but it looks like I might just get it done by the end of tomorrow.
NiallM

Re: Justice Pageant - No Longer Subject to Judicial Review[D

Postby NiallM » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Right, subject to any bug fixes etc. I'm done. Link + screenshot in OP.
NiallM

Postby Noyb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:32 pm

This is very well written. The biases in the various newspapers read loud and clear, and the endings are ambiguous while still showing how each conviction impacts the lives of the various suspects. Well done!
Noyb

Postby ham and brie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 pm

I really liked this.

When I played, I noticed there were some non-sensationalist fragments in the articles that pointed toward a suspect and thought I'd been clever, but was then caught off guard by the ending article putting a final twist in. I didn't actually have any real evidence for my choice, did I? Oops...
ham and brie

Postby sevi_ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Well done!

SPOILER!!!
PLAY BEFORE YOU READ !!

The killer is obviously Roy Beech -
1) the corpses were removed to the island after the murder -> you would need a boat to get them there -> boats are reserved for anglers -> Roy Beech is a fisherman
2) first he states that his dog dragged the corpses out of the bush, later he states that he saw the corpses in the bush.

SPOILER OVER !!!
sevi_

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]