It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm Advanced search

Justice: Our Law [DONE!]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

Justice: Our Law [DONE!]

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 pm

EDIT
There's a game page with draft rules up at http://jonathanwhiting.com/ourlaw/.
If you'd like to play, fire me an email (jonathan@ignika.com).
/EDIT

I was struggling quite a bit to think of something to do for this theme. It's a good one, I just couldn't find a direction I liked.

However it struck me today though that there's an (imho) under represented genre that would be a pretty good fit for playing around with the idea of justice. So, assuming I can find some volunteers to actually play it I plan to make some kind of nomic.

A nomic is (loosely) a type of game in which the ability to alter the rules is explicitly written in, typically through some sort of voting system. The name comes from the archetypal Nomic, but given it's a genre defined by rule editing as many variants exist as games played.

I spent about a year playing Nomicron way back in my college years, and had a complete blast. There was a lot of crazy mechanics, surprisngly heartfelt politicking, amusingly pedantic rule lawyering and occasional beautiful catastrophic loopholes.

The main difficulties with running one of these for this pageant are:
* You need a decent handful of players for it to work right, at least 5, and ideally more like 10.
* Online variants tend to take a while to play (in elapsed real time terms), with week long turns games can last months and months. I'd like to do something that can be compressed to fit within the rest of July.

By using short turns (probably one day), and writing an appropriate set of initial rules I think I can probably do something about the slowness. So, would anyone be interested in playing it?

I'm afraid there'll be a bit of a time commitment, my guess is 15-30 mins a day, weekdays only, from, say, the 12th to 29th of this month. It won't matter if you can't play every day, but you'll miss the best of it if you don't hit the majority. You won't let everyone down if it turns out you need to drop out mid-way through. It's asking quite a bit, I know. I can only promise that I'll do everything I can to make the time invested worthwhile :)

Anyway, I've got some ideas for rules which I should start fleshing into a real set. I'm currently thinking a balance somewhere between Diplomacy and Paranoia, but we'll see.
Last edited by Jonathan Whiting on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jonathan Whiting

Re: Justice: Our Law

Postby Ian Snyder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:49 pm

This sounds really cool, color me interested. I'll be out of town around the 25th though, and I don't know if I'll have internet connection in that time span.
Ian Snyder

Postby Abel Toy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 pm

If I understood it, you're making an online game and you'll need players, right? Tell me when you need them and I'll happily play your game :D
Abel Toy

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:This sounds really cool, color me interested. I'll be out of town around the 25th though, and I don't know if I'll have internet connection in that time span.

I'd hope that would give you plenty of time before then for meaningful involvement, even if you were to miss the end. I'm also perfectly happy to adjust the schedule to whatever suits the most people.

Rolpege wrote:If I understood it, you're making an online game and you'll need players, right? Tell me when you need them and I'll happily play your game :D

Sweet, yep, that's pretty much it, although "online" will mean a simple website and a whole bunch of emails, not some fancy ajax thing. The fundamental rule changing nature means that time spent on implementation is liable to be wasted time.

I've started working on the rules, going pen+paper first, largely just because I can:

Jonathan Whiting

Postby Darien » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 am

I'd be keen to play. Sounds like a hoot.
Darien

Postby heem2990 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 am

This is really interesting and new, i am all up for it :)
heem2990

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:01 am

Cool, it sounds like we might be able to rustle up enough players then. Current plan is to start the game on Monday 11th July at 8pm GMT, I'll try to setup an official sign up list and link some draft rules as soon as I can.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Draknek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 am

Sounds cool, I'm definitely interested.
Draknek

Postby NiallM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 am

This sounds really interesting. I'd love to join in :)
NiallM

Postby agentsr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am

I always wanted to do a game like this (though i had never heard about Nomic)... And i would most definetly play it.

The dificult part on implementing this would be exactly the always changing rules. And it doesn't work if you don't have a big enough populations, of course...

I always thought that for this to work you would have to limit the choices, and have a second ruleset driving people to make choices (e.g. abortion, tax levels, social security - most of campagin in democracy can be reduced to this kind of small positions on every factor. now if you could have a small economic model with diferent agents (players) where this factors would play an important role depending on their given past game choices, you could just emulate democracy).

I know this has nothing to do with Our Law, carry on, i'l play it... :-)
agentsr

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Ace, we have players. Now I just need to finish writing the game :)

Was in more of a visual design/website creation mood than a rule lawyering mood tonight. Still need to do a fair chunk of work to get the rules in order. I do however have most of the (rather lightweight) framework for running this thing in place and...

Placeholder page http://jonathanwhiting.com/ourlaw/ woo!
Jonathan Whiting

Postby ThreeOhFour » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 am

The idea of changing a game's rules as one plays is one that really appeals to me. It really takes away the linearity associated with a set of rules. Interested to see how this turns out!
ThreeOhFour

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Okay. I've put some draft initial rules up at http://jonathanwhiting.com/ourlaw/ I'd welcome your input if you have any.

Also, if you're definitely planning on taking part, can you fire me an email (jonathan@ignika.com). Most of the day-to-day game stuff will happen over email, so I'd like to make sure I have everyone's address before we start. Cheers :-)
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm off to Snowdonia for the weekend, so won't be responsive. I've not forgotten this though, it's still going ahead :-)
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:40 pm

I have emails from Rolpege, Darien, Draknek, Niall and Terry. It's on!

There's still room for another handful, so do wing me an email if you're interested, would be good to have you. Cut off time is 8pm GMT Monday, a little over 22 hours from now.
Jonathan Whiting

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]