It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:58 pm Advanced search

JUSTICE : hungry forest [done]

Archived Justice Pageant threads

JUSTICE : hungry forest [done]

Postby moonmagic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I want to make a game about a forest god overthrowing a series of cities, Miyazaki-style. I was thinking about this Famicase:

And this lyric:

The trumpet scatters its awful sound
Over the graves of all lands
Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned
When Nature arises
To give account before the Judge

(from Reveille, by Deerhoof)

The player will use magic to make plants grow. Overtaking buildings will work by encircling (kind of like Go). The larger the forest, the more magic is available, which can be used to create avatars and (eventually) to manifest as the forest deity. Humans will resist, naturally.

---

CURRENT BUILD:

b.03
Last edited by moonmagic on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
moonmagic

Re: This Magnificent Bird Will Rise

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 pm

That is certainly an evocative famicase :)

The idea has some promise too. If you're using the positioning of plants to overtake buildings, could you also use the positioning in other interesting ways. I'm thinking summoning shapes etc.
Jonathan Whiting

Re: This Magnificent Bird Will Rise

Postby moonmagic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Jonathan Whiting wrote:That is certainly an evocative famicase :)

The idea has some promise too. If you're using the positioning of plants to overtake buildings, could you also use the positioning in other interesting ways. I'm thinking summoning shapes etc.

Ooh, that is a good idea. Groves!
moonmagic

Re: JUSTICE : This Magnificent Bird Will Rise

Postby moonmagic » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:25 pm

DAY ONE:

I've hacked together an invisible builder that lays out a town in a little grid in one of four places on the map. It's my first attempt to generate a map with code and not by handplacing tiles and objects in Ogmo. It'll create a town with between 4 and 12 buildings. My next priority is to tweak it to spiral out and gradually reduce density as the radius of the town increases.

After that I'll start on the forest and basic growth / resource collection.

Also, I've changed the working title to the much more prosaic "forest god", as it's more baldly descriptive at this point.
moonmagic

Re: JUSTICE : forest god

Postby moonmagic » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:49 am

DAY TWO:

The game now builds a pretty decent town with a few buildings on the outskirts. It also generates a dense little copse of flowers opposite the town. To do next:

- Have the town build buildings in the three types I have planned.
- Put roads between buildings, and extend them evocatively off the map.
- Generate an aged forest, with oldest growth in the middle, juvenile trees next, and an outskirts of meadows, marshes, and caves.

I was originally toying around with different sized buildings, but then that introduced the idea of a tech tree for the AI and the scope of the game expanded too far. Instead, I intend for the humans to generate humans at a constant rate based on how many houses they have. Humans will attack the woods to gain resources; when they have sufficient resources, they will build another house. Houses will come in three varieties: fire, axe, or rifle. Axes and rifles can gather resources; any human can build, but it takes four to make a house. This essentially gives the humans two resources: forest corpses, and themselves.

The player will have three land types available to them, as well: meadows, marshes, and caves. After a tile has been designated a meadow, it will eventually produce trees. Marshes eventually produce molds and fungi, and caves produce animals. The player's resource is MAGIC, which she gets from mature lifeforms (all owned tiles mature over time). Magic can be spent to expand and capture open tiles, OR to enshrine owned tiles to release the tile's spirit. This basically creates a little monster that can attack the humans.

Lots to do! We'll see how much ends up in the game.
moonmagic

Postby FuzzYspo0N » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 am

The concept is definitely sounding interesting. And I like the clean style. Keep at it!
FuzzYspo0N

Postby moonmagic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:38 am

DAY THREE:

I need to make the flowers a bit shorter, and I suspect the yellow house is heading for a palette change, but the game now produces a passable starting forest with a mature tree, a ring of saplings, and outlying flowers. Animations for each stage (flower, sapling, tree) are finished, and they look nice popping up. It's the little things, right?

I think roads will really help the town look more complete; also, to engender the feeling of injustice, I am going to populate the map with stumps, pits, and dried up lakes.

I need to render the grass to a single tilemap, too; that number of entities is obscene.
moonmagic

Postby nyarla » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 pm

I really like this idea! Gfx are looking very nice too... looking forward to seeing roads. I reckon it'd also be cool if you somehow make the forests, when aged, look all overgrown - eg with vines hanging over the trees, all tangly - like if the forest could look like it's breaking out of the grid formation.
nyarla

Postby Ed K » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Yeah, I love this whole concept too. Nice take on the theme, I often have thoughts along similar lines, although never really made a connection to "justice"

I saw an unpleasant amount of roadkill on the way to work this morning, which made me think: If you have roads, how about wandering creatures that get squashed by cars, and then (???) some bonus points for killing that car with a huge falling tree or something? Maybe too much for the timescale!

Also: the idea of rewilding urban areas is cool. Trees growing up in or next to houses and reducing them to rubble. Overgrown vacant lots with rabbits hopping about and deer walking through...
Ed K

Postby moonmagic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 am

DAY FOUR:

GOODNESS. I knew that I had a steep learning curve ahead of me when I chose to take on A* pathfinding, but what I am confronting is a perfect storm of arrays and OOL and it is confounding me. I've tried to use Doglion's code (too difficult to separate the Ogmo / XML functionality and support for multiple maps from what I need: the grids and math) and the Dauntless code (too difficult for me without a Flashpunk example, I am forced to admit, after hours of work). So, fledgling community, is there one among you who has experience with A* and Flashpunk that can point me in the right direction?

On a lighter note: I made some little mans:

moonmagic

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:15 am

moonmagic wrote:So, fledgling community, is there one among you who has experience with A* and Flashpunk that can point me in the right direction? [/img]

I don't have anything to point you at, but could probably be of help if you have specific problems/questions.

Taking a step outside the problem though, why do you feel the need to use A*? Is perfect navigation genuinely important to your game, can you fudge something that will do a good enough job? I tend to find that algorithmically 'good' navigation is often a lot less interesting (as a player) than substantially easier (to code) alternatives.
Jonathan Whiting

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 am

Just wanted to throw in that I love the concept here, and the art style is cute and captures the essence of the excellent cart cover.
Jasper

Postby reverkiller » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Your concept is awesome, and the art is great. I'd be glad to help you with A* but I'm not sure if I could actually help. (I've only ever coded it in Java and Python).
reverkiller

Postby Ed K » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm also happy to help with A*.
In fact I have an AS3 implementation (adapted from one online) but it is entombed with the rest of my AS3 on a dead PC.

There are several AS3 implementations online. Could be showing my ignorance of Flashpunk here, but whats the problem with taking one of those and using it? If necessary, consider creating a temporary 2D array of ints (or whatever) from the map instead of using the map data directly. It might make it easier to drop in a generic A* implementation.

Of course, as Jonathan said, it might be easier/different to use some other method, like antiobjects - essentially a "scent" that spreads from your target objects and which other objects can follow by picking the neighbouring non-blocked tile that has the strongest scent. Again, this would probably be a seperate grid of values.
Ed K

Postby Jonathan Whiting » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Ed K wrote:Of course, as Jonathan said, it might be easier/different to use some other method, like antiobjects

Whilst that sounds pretty neat I was thinking of much simpler approaches. Things like, to navigate a man to a tree how about:

Code: Select all
while man not at tree:
  if man can see trees (can walk to them without navigation) then:
    pick random tree
    walk to tree
  else:
    pick random visible location
    walk to location

It will probably look a bit stupid, but it might do, and if it isn't good enough, it is at least easy to iterate on.
Jonathan Whiting

Next

Return to Justice Pageant [July 2011]